Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Radiator drain pipe stuck

Ok, at every f*cking stage of the way thre is a new problem. I can't see being able to fix anything major if this is how it is all along the way...

I cant get the radiator lower pipe off as the OE clamps that hold it on are just to goddam hard to get off. There is simply NO SPACE, and yes I have tried to get the front bumper off and the bolt behind the shitty reg pate is (like everything else) stuck fast and none od my sockets seem to fit it anyway...why do they have a different size for EVERYTHING!!!?

It took me a day to just get the goddam battery securing bolt off...seiously if its this hard for something that should be simple...there is no way I'll get a HG or cambelt done at this rate.

Are there any tips, other than a chainsaw, on how to get the damn clip off and then another new one back on after I have drained the coolant...

I couldnt seem to get enough room to get to mine either so i just took the other one off

Have you got a pair of molegrips?

If your rad pipe clamps are the funny clamps that you have to squeeze two 'tongues' together then yes, they are a complete bitch to do, but the molegrips will maintain pressure while you manouevre (sp) the clip along the pipe, away from the plastic tube bit of the rad it clamps onto.

I had to get underneath the bloody thing on axle stands and have coolant run down my arm while I worked the clip along the pipe and away from the rad

Forum User
    Depends if its one of those stupid ones you cant undo or one of therm clips you have to squeeze to open.
    Mine was one of the squeeze ones and to get it off i undid the rad from the slam panel and took that off which gave me enough space to get a screwdriver down there to wriggle the clip round so i could sort of get at it from underneath.
    Then with much swearing, fiddling and a bit of luck got some mole grips on the clip to hold it open while i wiggled and pulled the hose til eventually it came off.

To solve this problem in future i will be using jubilee clips

hope this helps mate
    alex

Forum User
    Depends if its one of those stupid ones you cant undo or one of therm clips you have to squeeze to open.
    Mine was one of the squeeze ones and to get it off i undid the rad from the slam panel and took that off which gave me enough space to get a screwdriver down there to wriggle the clip round so i could sort of get at it from underneath.
    Then with much swearing, fiddling and a bit of luck got some mole grips on the clip to hold it open while i wiggled and pulled the hose til eventually it came off.

To solve this problem in future i will be using jubilee clips

hope this helps mate
    alex

I did the same ^^^ lol

Forum User
    Try accessing it from the front wheel arch area

It IS a bitch of a pipe isn't it? I've got the wheel off, and mudguard shields (had to do this anyway to get the timing belt lower cover off)
    It is one of those green clips that you have to squeeze. Dont actually have any molegrips as yet.

I have tried going in from underneath, and currently have the car on axle stands, but the clip is in such a position as to make it very tricky to get a hold of both tongues to squeeze...bah!

I guess I'll have to get some moleclips...

What I may do is tomorrow take the bonnet off, slam panel, undo radiator and remove grill and hopefully be able to work the rad into the open a bit to remove the pipe...

I have jubilee clips ready to replace these bloody things already!

lol frankly, this takes the piss. A simple coolant flush...cant even get the pipe off. I love how it says in Haynes, 'remove the lower pipe'. A day later and all io have to show for it is a pile iof stuff I've had to take off to have a slight chance of removing it and lots of cuts. French shit!

Forum User
    when i emptied mine i also managed to completely miss the bucket i put underneath to catch the coolant cos it all went down the subframe and covered the garage floor, nuthin with these cars is ever simple.