Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Running rich

Banned
    And you talk as if Chipwizard added 20 bhp to 2lives car. IT AING GOING TO HAPPEN FROM A REMAP.

All a remap does is fine tune the engine and take out flat spots, placed by the manufacturers to improve fuel economy etc. There are many reasons why Jons car could have been fastest after the remap (maybe it was run in more, psychological reasons, weather conditions), but saying you will get MASSIVE gains from a remap, sorry to disappoint when you go, but you wont.

never said that anything about 2lives car being quicker or not....

but i know the differance mate....the standard map was very close in actual fact. He just took alittle out at top end and added some more to the mid range.

It was the limiter which impressed me the most Rob about his work. And the fact that 0159 has sustained being reved to over 8500 rpm for a few mins whislt he found the rev limiter code string.

Banned
    All im syaing is FORGET massive improvements. If Jons car really improved that much i suggest it was not running correctly to start with.

A map will fine tune a car. THAT IS ALL IT DOES. No big performance gains to be had.

well there was in this case mate...as his times show.

before remap best 14.6 after remap 14.0 (to be improved im sure)

no worries rob....any gain even 1bhp will be greatly appriciated on my car i can tell u

Banned
    So there is no chance it could have been his driving skill that got the 14.0?

No chance he could have launched the car better on that run?

Come on, be realistic.

Wish i had some popcorn!

Better than the flicks. :D

Mat.

J o n
    Quote Originally Posted by King Stromba
    Ok jesus. Challenge.

You go to Chipwizard, ill go to nick hill. We both do before and after. And maybe a wager on it too.
    that wont work, how about I go to hill power and he maps my car... although you or Nick pay, then I go to Chip Wizards afterwards? I never said it would make 20bhp, but it has made a big difference. The fact that the car is now mapped properly and also mapped to 700rpm more has made a pretty big difference. If you see the way Jon launches you'll know that he gets the launch pretty much perfect everytime. Reaction times dont affect the 1/4 mile too, so that's half a second inprovement on acceleration... that's pretty massive imo. There's no way on earth that his car will have done a 14.0 before the remap either, you see the way Jon launches and changes gear it's impossible

Banned
    Ok, lets knock on the door and ask for Ronny Real.

Some facts:

Coincidences DO occur. Just because he gets a 14.0 after a remap doesnt mean the remap provided the reduction of all that time. Granted, a remap will undoubtedly improve driveability and iron out flat spots, and thus improve the engines performance. However, im sure Jon also had a shit before the 14.0, but no one is suggesting that the shit was responsible via extra weight reduction.

Jon is human, and as such open to the placebo effect. Get a doctor to tell someone they are stronger, and they will be. Spend £350 on a remap from someone the Porsche owners club say walks on water, and you get the same effect.

The car was probably improved after the remap, of that i have no doubt. But lets not subscribe to Max Power just yet, and keep the improvements in perspective. Realistically, the remap will fine tune the ECU to optimally work with Jons modifications, and also remove code that is counter productive to performance. We are not talking big gains, but a nice worthwhile improvement. Certainly not turning the car from a kitten into a tiger, but more like turning a tiger into a slightly faster and stronger tiger, but not that your notice just by looking.

People on here need to know the truth about remaps before they part with their hard earned cash. It is unfair to get them to expect that Chipwizard will provide them with something he wont. A magicall elixir. A solution to all those tuning woes. Im sure Chipwizard does exactly what he says on the tin, but then so does Nick Hill, and maybe a handful of other electronic engineers. Remaps are complex things that require skill, but you cannot extract power from an engine that isnt there. No even the mighty Chipwizard cannot defy the laws described by Bor, Planck, Newton, Clausius and Einstein.

I have no experience of Chipwizard and admit that i know little about the company, but have only heard good things. Its not that i am persuading people not to go there, or in any way stating that he doesnt do a good job. I am sure he does. But for you to turn round and say that 'youve only heard bad things about Nick Hill's remaps' is in my opinion the statement of pub talk. I have seen his software, his graphs, his equipment, and his results. Im sure some others can do 'as good a job'. However, i can assure you and everyone else, his set up is very professional, and his results are good and very real.

Problems tend to arrise, when ill advised people buy a chip off him. Run it in a car that isnt in the best of health anyway. Stick crap fuel in it, then go to a rolling road session in 30 degree heat, and wonder why the car is pinking. They take the chip out the next day and drive it on the cool road and the pinking goes, and they conclude, erroneously, that the chip cuased the pinking. They then tell everyone on a car forum and it becomes engrained in stone. Absolute lunacy. The same people also wonder why the car produces less power on a rolling road with the chip in, than without. I mean come on, weve all seen the bullshit results off rolling roads, and the variation that is acheivable between the same car even on the same day (Flaming Monkies last RR). Yet people stupidly beleive what these people report. Pub talk is dangerous. Dont fall into its evil.

Here endeth the lesson :D

Quote Originally Posted by King Stromba
    LOL, Porsche owners club recommend him, doesnt mean f*ck all. Jon youve heard bad things about Nick Hills work. What from a bloke's brother down the pub?

Same sort of people that claim that his chips cause pinking, when they are too thick to realise that pinking is caused by the excessive heat build up on a rolling road, not the chip.

****ing makes me laugh all the shit on here. About as scientific as claiming dog shit stinks of roses cos a mate told you.

Cant argue with Nicks CV. He knows Mark2 clios backwards, and hes worked for TWR as an electronic engineer when they were involved in F1. Now i dont this Tom Walkinshaw employ cowboys do they?
    Its true, when you map right to the edge, an engine will pink under the unreal loads and temps that they experience on a rolling road, Its impossible to similate real life situations on a chassis dyno.

Nick is an incredibly good tuner, but one bit of bad press by that RSC lot didnt help him much. Nothing he cant get over though.

J o n
    Rob, I never once mentioned that the remap will give big bhp gains, or simply by using this it will transform the car into something it's not. we were talking about 2 lives car where it had x mods and combing chip with x mods has made a big difference. now you can argue all day that this is down to conditions, state of mind blah blah blah, but really that proves nothing, as it ran around fourteen and a half seconds before it was remap'd and now it runs fourteen dead. This is down to nothing other than the remap, how can in not be, forget science, we're talking common sense hear and the law of averages. You need to realise that these runs were not all done on the same day, Jon's usually props up the 1/4 mile scene... although he's not run it much since the remap... so the difference is likely to be even bigger, as I think it will crack 13's.