Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Running rich

Banned
    Nick Hill is Hillpower. He is in Derbyshire by the M42. 01530273633.

Quote Originally Posted by King Stromba
    Quote Originally Posted by case
    i'll try ringing round the weekend and see what GDI and nick hill can offer. Is nick hill the same as hill power?

No i'm not running and cat and i thought about the lamba, just didn't know how to check it. I never expected it to be running 100% right as the engine is newly built with cams etc. I think its running rich as you can really smell it. Sound strange i know.

What alternatives are there to fully mapable ECUs. I'm looking to spend about £400. Do i need to save more or are there things out there for that sort of money?

Thanks for the help
    Mark

or u could try the genius of wayne schofield.aka chip wizards...who nick couldnt hold a torch to wen mapping..imo

as recommended by myself, martin, soon to be jesus, monkey, also rec'd by dta ecu manufacturers, ferrari owners club, porsche owners club etc etc etc

Wouldnt even put GDI in the same bracket as Nick Hill to be honest. On the electronics side of things you wont find better, anywhere, than Nick.

The job he did rebuilding my engine was very very professional, and the best thing is, it hasnt broken yet. If you have a Mark 1 Clio and dont go to Nick, your either mighty brave or mighty stupid.

Forum User
    thanks 2-live. Do you have chip wizards number?

Has anyone had a chip/ re-map from GDI. Was really impressed by the work they've done for me before, but i understand they can't be good at everything so maybe somewhere else might be best for a chip.

Thanks

Banned
    Just out of interest 2live, what makes you think chipwizard are any better at mapping than Nick Hill?

Just like to know why you think that?

Banned
    GDI remap using a piggy back chip i think, and are unable to set a higher rev limiter.

J o n
    in fairness Rob you've not had work done at GDI, as I have not had work done at Hill Power so to say one is better than the other would be difficult. Personally I dont like the SMT6 as it's a piggyback chip, no disrespect to Andy or Ben as ive spoken to them already about this and prefer the idea of a clone ECU. Also to set the record straight GDI use the SMT6 and a clone chip to up the revs, so that's not an issue. I've not heard a great deal of good things about the hill power maps in honesty, but i've only heard good things about the Chip Wizards remaps. I've done a search on Wayne Schofield before in yahoo and google and all the Porsche and serious car nutts all say he's the Neo of engine management tuning. GDI/AWT are also shit hot, as the yellow car of Martins ran a 14.1 once mapped, but on standard 6'500rpm limit. Think that speaks for itself as well really. Choice is yours though mate, we can only help you, it's your choice at the end of the day. I'm using Chip Wizards mainly as he's highly recommended but also the fact that Cambridge isn't exactly down the road for me, so would be a 2 day event or one hell of a long day to get it mapped.

Banned
    LOL, Porsche owners club recommend him, doesnt mean **** all. Jon youve heard bad things about Nick Hills work. What from a bloke's brother down the pub?

Same sort of people that claim that his chips cause pinking, when they are too thick to realise that pinking is caused by the excessive heat build up on a rolling road, not the chip.

****ing makes me laugh all the shit on here. About as scientific as claiming dog shit stinks of roses cos a mate told you.

Cant argue with Nicks CV. He knows Mark2 clios backwards, and hes worked for TWR as an electronic engineer when they were involved in F1. Now i dont this Tom Walkinshaw employ cowboys do they?

J o n
    thing is they recommend him and put up graphs to prove his work, see for yourself, it's not difficult to find. Jon's car itself is reason enough for me to go for that one, i went in it immediately before and after remap practically and the car was fast as hell when it went in and was transformed into a complete monster on the way out.

i've heard bad things about Hill Power just as you have about GDI and AWT, the science is the same both ways. I'm not saying that a few people's saying he's crap or whatever would sway me though, i'd prefer to see for myself. The reason I'm not going to Hill Power is simply because a) it's too far and b) other people have better publicised results.

Banned
    Ok jesus. Challenge.

You go to Chipwizard, ill go to nick hill. We both do before and after. And maybe a wager on it too.

hows that going to work.....your cars are differant from each other.

TBH im going to chipwizards when i get mine done

a) he's local 15mins away
    b) he did 2lives and was there with him on the day
    c) his reputation has nothing to do with me going anywhere...but his is a good one from what ive heard from other engine tunners.