Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    J o n

Wanted dead or alive...

not had the chance of a doo with a 172/182 yet since getting cams... had a couple of run ins, but one I was 3 up him on his own and the other time it was a bit of 2nd n 3rd gear stuff only...

Banned
    Before my engine rebuild i could easily keep pace with my mates 172 cup. Dead even upto 100+. And i didnt rate 0200 as a particularly fast Williams. Ive also kept with a 182 (was brand new mind on an 04 plate at time so may not have been run in) and i kept with it no probs. Thats a 140,000 mile engine.

Jills 172 is a fast one. Everyone says so. Since my rebuild, i ve done 2500 miles and my car is just starting to be quicker than hers on 30,000 miles.

So with cams and a megane bottom end, your going to **** a standard 182 over big time.

A 182 owner could say 'well i get cams and the status quo is rebalanced', but their engines are already in a higher state of tune, so the F4R wont respond as well to the same mods as the F7R (i would not have thought). They would have to go for wild cams, which will **** their idle (read GDI) and lose bottom end power.

everytime ive had a run-in with a 182 they dont seem arsed. if cams seem to make as "bigger" difference on the willys and valvers as people have reported i would expect u to be quicker in a striaght line and well as for twisties.....

My valver is a 140000 mile engine and is much faster than my mates 80k engine. It pulls like the day it came out of the factory

J o n
    well to be fair the work GDI and AWT do is awesome, they dont piss about when it comes to tuning, the figures can be argued i suppose, but imo there used as a rough guide. now, my personal feeling on the whole F4 engine is that as standard they seem to be better, in that they have less miles, but put up like for like Williams and 1*2 the Willy will be at least as quick... which has been proven by the lower mile ones and 1/4 mile times. now all these ones with cams etc do make impressive figures, but from personal experience I dont think they make the beans, i've seen a 172 with cams, headwork, breathing mods and all setup on a dastek chip on an RR make 157bhp @ the wheels and it was not as quick as it should have been period... seen a few cases of this where the figures look good etc, but on the road I'd be confident that with same mods, ie mine timing in and remap I'd not struggle to pull away from one producing over 200bhp. now you obviously get the freaks out there that will be a different story, but i'm beginning to believe this myth of the megane engine being quicker... that or the fact it's on 25k... lol

Forum User
    I had a race with my mate in his 172 Cup at the weekend, he's had it cammed and few other little bits, and is running just over 200bhp, he said he was surprised at how close i kept to him and so was i! Once we got to about 80 though, he started pulling away more

Forum User
    It's all about the top end IMO.... my mate in his rx7 doesn't pull away too much while i'm flat out in 3rd, but once i change up into 4th, he's gone

I've had a play with a mates apparently standard Williams 2 in a straight line, about 70-130mph and in my de-catted/ITG Panel filter'ed 172 it was about even. He'd pull if I started off in front, I'd pull on him ever-so-slightly if he was in front. If you have cams I would expect you to edge in front easily.

Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by StevieP
    I've had a play with a mates apparently standard Williams 2 in a straight line, about 70-130mph and in my de-catted/ITG Panel filter'ed 172 it was about even. He'd pull if I started off in front, I'd pull on him ever-so-slightly if he was in front. If you have cams I would expect you to edge in front easily.
    :D

Re: Wanted dead or alive...

Quote Originally Posted by TheJesus
    not had the chance of a doo with a 172/182 yet since getting cams... had a couple of run ins, but one I was 3 up him on his own and the other time it was a bit of 2nd n 3rd gear stuff only...
    If you're around Bedford/MK jesus ill oblige, im no racer....but ill do me best.