Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Forum User

Clio Williams V's Clio Cup QTR mile

Guys im off to the Pod this sunday, and my mate and I have been chastising each other who is going to win down the QTR mile. I am planning on taking out the spare wheel, rear seats, all mats, rear boot carpet, parcel shelf with suit holder and running it on about a qtr of a tank of fuel. :D

Will this be enough to beat a standard 172 cup? Please say yes!! I have run a 15.8 with soo much stuff in the boot and a tankfull of gas before so im hoping for some serious gains down the next run i do.

Forum User
    hmmm cups have been known to run low 15's high 14's or even low 14's depending on state of tune!

get the bugger stripped out, and you should give him a run for his money!!

mine ran 14.3 with just exhaust and decat and stripped out!

Banned
    I was dead even with my mates 172 cup off a roundabout upto about 80 or 90. A few blasts and it was pretty conclusive that he was no quicker. Thats a 20 k cup v a 140k Williams by the way. He was two up, but i weigh as much as two people anyway. So id say you will at least match him if your car is mechanically sound. If you have a fast one id say youll beat him. 0002 would have easily dispatched him, which on 18k would have been a more fair comparison. My Williams at the time also had no midrange torque due to a faulty exhaust.

Suffice to say my mate was a bit gutted.

Forum User
    Thats a pretty good time Craig. Mine will be standard apart from a Piper X induction kit, and stripped. I may be being optimistic, but im aiming for a low 15 i.e 15.3 or something. Do able?

Yeah I reckon i15.3 is easy do able my times vary from 15.3ish to 14.9, I have a decat and exhaust

Forum User
    YYYYEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!!

Cant wait! Cheers fellas for the input!

Banned
    Run 35 psi in your tyres instead of 32 (if you are on 185 55 15's). I find this is an improvement in grip.

I thought the less pressure you have in the tyres give you better grip due to there being more tyres to grab the road?

Banned
    I personally think that putting more air in the tyre gives better grip. If you want more tyre on the road i would go for a wider tyre, but again put more pressure in it.

Lower tyre pressure in my experience give more torque steer (which you could argue means your getting better grip) but in reality means you are getting sore sideways movement, and therefore less forward momentum. Higher tyre pressures keep the sidewall firmer and allow the tyre to keep the car on a more forward tradectory. Everytime you correct torque steer you are loosing tenths.

Flame suit on

Forum User
    lower the pressure a bit in the fronts for grip off the line, but get the backs up to about 40psi! i knocked 0.1 off at pod this way