Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dave, Topgear, mark 1 v mark 2's

**WARNING**

rambling likely in this post

**WARNING**

please bear with me on this post, believe me there is a point to it.

it started off tonight, i caught an advert earlier on this week telling me that the new channel on digital called Dave was actually screening this series of topgear at 7pm on sundays, great i thought, just more topgear, never enough anyways.....to my delight when i turned this on the topgear on was infact the very first in this series, the one with the W12 Golf and then the 'the best driving road', with the aston, lambo and porsche.

and this is were it begins. There will probably be some of you reading this that think how can he relate the 2 but some others should hopefully understand. Whilst watching the 'the best driving road' section, more specifically the start when they reviewed and introduced the cars did i start to think about my old car. Then we they started out on the roads and started to through the cars about did i understand how they were feeling, the fun they were having, and at this point i realised how much i missed and wanted my old car back.*

*for those newbie's or people that didn't previously know i owned a mark 1 1.8 16v (a valver).

so some of you may now be thinking how can he compare the thousand pound supercars with this little french (sh*tbox) hot hatch, well its the feelings, the fun, the smiles, the rawness........no wieght, no toys (as such)...etc etc.....

this then leads me on to my second point, with watching this part of the show and realising that i missed the thrill, the fun factor and noise of my old car that i infact had done the wrong thing in selling it for a mark 2.

so the mark 1 v mark 2 debate (in my view)
    at the time i sold the mark 1 for very good money, too much i think maybe but thats why i sold it...lol..and inline was the next car i wanted, a mark 2 phase 1 172, always liked the looks of them (much better than the phase 2's) and i fancied a bit more power. initially it took a bit of getting use to, and the power was nice, it was definatly quicker but somehow (and this is were the problem is) it felt slower, and with this it didn't seem as fun, handling wise...well in my opinion its nothing compared to the mark 1's, the mark 2 just isn't as good (that may be down to tyres etc but i had times like that on the mark 1 and it was still ok).

there are certain parts to the mark 2 i like, the extra comfort, the 6 disc changer as standard, compared to stripped valver i spose its a bit luxurious and other things like it doesn't rattle as much and its in better nick mechanically i spose but somehow compared to the mark 1 i don't think its ever going to win my heart.........

god i miss my mark 1.........

discuss if you wish.

(also posted on cs, will be interesting to hear the replies on there...lol)

i know i am going to get i told you so's.....lol

Forum User
    tbh, i am in the same boat, never should have sold my williams,

I now have a 210bhp ph1 172 that doesnt workand hasnt for 2 months now, so on the lookout for a williams again

one thing to win you back

the styling.

i have all ways liked older cars because of the feeling i get when driving them
    newer cars seem soul less and uninteresting to drive
    they are so well built and quiet when driving
    the micra i just used while mine was in the body shop was very impressive in build and toys but totally lacked and sense of fun or feeling
    even my dad commented on the way home from picking the willy that he could see why i go on about the noise and ride giving me a smile when i drive it made my day even better

p.s .. freebone16v is it a mid life crisis LOL

My mum and step dad refuse to move, drive, be a passenger or even sit in my 16v.

They hate it. Rattly, noisy, low, hard etc etc.

I get it all.

Thye just dont understand do they!?

Ive had my 16v for 3 1/2 yrs now and i enjoy EVERY single bit of driving i do in it. I love it to bits and have NEVER once considered selling it, only when the clutch cable keeps snapping or it has a mechanical but that just normal i suppose! Never do i think of selling it because im bored of it.

What ended up being a normal converstion with my sister the other week about me trying to explain how my 16v has more fun factor than her boyfriends golf 07 gt tdi will ever have, turned out to being a full blown argument....pft...sisters..females...what do they know about cars!!

She doesnt seem to understand that a golf gt tdi is a ****ING REPS car and will never be anymore. She doesnt understand that hot hatches are designed for fun-ness! Not many people do unlike us 'boy racers'!!

:o

there must be something to these mk1s

mine has broken so much, but when its working its so much fun to drive!

Quote Originally Posted by wavy

p.s .. freebone16v is it a mid life crisis LOL
    i hope not mate, i am only 23......

glad people are getting what i mean when i have explained it.........so if anybody see's or knows of any **special** mark 1's for sale send them my way, coops's turbo would do nicely

yep i get what ya mean mate, i like new cars, very comfortable and quiet but i will never own one purley because i seem to have sooo much more fun in an older car

plus older cars u can start to service them yourself coz service history doesnt really mean alot over 100k ive always thought so it kinda works out cheaper aswell :D if that makes sence

Forum User
    i love my 16v, although its no-where near std lol but its alot of fun and very much raw in comparison to my 1 8 2, but i also love the 1 8 2, driving it to work everyday is pure pleasure, and i can just slow and relax if i want with that, although you dont get the same feeling as in the 16v its still alot of fun and was top fun at the ring!

Quote Originally Posted by Matty86
    there must be something to these mk1s

mine has broken so much, but when its working its so much fun to drive!
    im in total agreement mines never on the road due to stupid problems but i would NEVER part with it i love it 2 bits!!