Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gearbox playing up when warm?

Now I thought it was meant to be the other way round but my box is fine when cold but soon as its been driven a bit n warmed up say after 15-20 mins, it starts crunching bad and its hard to get it into first and second and sometimes sounds as if I've only half dipped the clutch into 2nd the grinding is tht bad

Could it be down to the oil being crap? Or any other suggestions bar the box being shot :(

Forum User
    Either clutch or bent clutch fork??

Can't see if being release bearing as you can usually here this when it goes

Hmm clutch fork should be fine haven't fiddled round with it and the clutch has done a few thousand miles max :( if it was to do with the clutch would it happen all the time or only when warm?

Forum User
    if tis really worn could be ****ing it when warm.

Try changing gearbox oil, and when you drain it pop the boot off the n/s driveshaft and see if there is metal in it, gives you an idea on the condition of the box

Just changed the oil was no metal in it or on the plug when I drained it, just used castrol box oil from halfords so dno if its good enough?

Forum User
    london, hackney Formally known as FINAL ABODE
    i get similar symptoms as you but no crunching of gears just difficult to select first when the car gets warmed up.

with the same symptoms it could be a few things, when you changed your clutch was the pressure plate done at the same time?

could be incorrect routing of your clutch cable
    pedal ratchet
    pivot bush

same symptoms but different things have worked for diferent ppl , so i suppose its just a process of elimination.

havent had mine done yet as my cars in the bodyshop , but i will also be rectifying this soon

Yeah was a whole clutch kit stan at apd did the clutch so its defo done right. Clutch cable routing is fine n hasn't changed so can't be that, anyway to check if the ratchet is gone on the pedal?

Pivot bush was perfect when I changed the box last so hopefully not that either.

Forum User
    Odd one, i'd suggest giving stan a ring tomorrow

I'll have to check the fork movement 2moro, how far should it be moving? I pushed the clutch down really hard earlier and it went just the tiniest bit further down and I swear the gears changed easier?

Also the car seems to be creeping forward in neutral with the clutch up

Forum User
    When i first got my old valver it did exactly the same. Only found out on the journey home

It was the gearbox that was completely knackered, took the end casing off and metal came pouring out. Good luck