Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    J o n
    Dave, my real concern about the turbo conversion would be that for 5k+ or whatever it costs your not getting much it seems apart from bolt on mods run at their limit... so anymore power and it's going to cost a horrendous amount. Someone has put an Audi TT engine in a Clio with custom mounts, full remap to 290+bhp and 312lbs/ft torque and they have forged pistons and steel internals as standard... all for £4'500... oh and the 6 speed gear box. The other thing is the box, i don't know how hard a life your cars have and if they are serviced more often than usual, but most of the tuned NA cars munch boxes for fun, i'm on my second in no time at all. Other people have blown up Williams boxes new from Reno inside 6 months.
    Finally the ECU, your using the standard ECU remapped to suit? I just think it all seems a bit expensive and done a bit on the cheap side for what your getting, imo there are far better engines already out there that would require custom mounts and a bit of fabrication to fit but could be done a) more cheaply b) more reliably and c) output more power with the addition of being able to mod further and more intensively.

at the cost of 5k im suprised this convo has gone on so long, who in their right mind would spend that much money on that mod
    id rather sell the willy and buy a 2nd hand (poss 7th hand lol) evo for the amounts of money involved!

Personally if I had that kind of money I'd prefer to spend it on getting the car totally mint - New set of wheels from reno, full respray, every dint removed etc......but I'm just boring I suppose! ha

Quote Originally Posted by TheJesus
    Dave, my real concern about the turbo conversion would be that for 5k+ or whatever it costs your not getting much it seems apart from bolt on mods run at their limit... so anymore power and it's going to cost a horrendous amount. Someone has put an Audi TT engine in a Clio with custom mounts, full remap to 290+bhp and 312lbs/ft torque and they have forged pistons and steel internals as standard... all for £4'500... oh and the 6 speed gear box. The other thing is the box, i don't know how hard a life your cars have and if they are serviced more often than usual, but most of the tuned NA cars munch boxes for fun, i'm on my second in no time at all. Other people have blown up Williams boxes new from Reno inside 6 months.
    Finally the ECU, your using the standard ECU remapped to suit? I just think it all seems a bit expensive and done a bit on the cheap side for what your getting, imo there are far better engines already out there that would require custom mounts and a bit of fabrication to fit but could be done a) more cheaply b) more reliably and c) output more power with the addition of being able to mod further and more intensively.
    Im not sure what you mean by a "bolt on mod". Every thing has a bolt/clip/bracket to hold it in place/fix it down..... Even a forged con rod has a "bolt". Does this make forged con-rods a bolt on mod?

The F7 engine is no where near its limit (and neither are the turbo parts) at this comp ratio/boost threshold etc. Renault have had over 700hp from this lump :D

If we are discussing engine transplants, why not just drop in a skyline lump? Fair play to the guys that did the TT transplant and Im not knocking what they do, but its a seperate issue. If it was dead easy to just drop the engine in and TT lumps where falling out the sky then yeah ok it would be more worth it but its never as easy as "just make a few custom mounts".

Our cars lead a hard life and are serviced no more or less regularly then any other Clio. A Gearbox lasts as long as its treated. Anything that fails inside its warranty then send it back. We have never had a Williams or 16V gearbox go faulty. Ive seen people fit gear boxes with out re-fitting the correct brackets/bolts etc and as such its put too much strain on it causing it to fail early. Is this perhaps what happened with your freind?

You seem to contradict your self on the ECU "It seems a bit expensive and done a bit on the cheap side"???????

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie_Williams3
    at the cost of 5k im suprised this convo has gone on so long, who in their right mind would spend that much money on that mod
    id rather sell the willy and buy a 2nd hand (poss 7th hand lol) evo for the amounts of money involved!
    Go buy your evo, let me know and I'll race ya. £500 to the winner

Quote Originally Posted by TwisT
    but wouldnt a bolt on charger be cheaper than a turbo, the golf vr6 6psi bolt on charger is only £2000 fitted IIRC, low boost on stock engine ? could it be done for around £2000 on williams f7r?
    I dont know too much about this kit so I couldnt comment but im not sure it could be £2k fitted :o

Forum User
    + were all forgetting that turbos sound ace, and its a mod you dont see very often, and you'll get a warranty no doubt with that modification

J o n
    Dave, i'd just like to know what justifies the massive price for what seems like a relatively simple kit that's all, i'd expect a lot of work done to the bottom end for this price and some things dont make sense to me, so i'm trying to set them straight in my own mind.
    The gearbox is the main thing i dont understand, i've gone though one already, 2 live is on god knows what number gearbox and has replaced with new items, Clean16v has gone through countless box's also...

Fair point about the TT engine's, but the whole conversion has cost £4'500 for what I would say will be a more reliable engine (afterall, they spent millions developing the engine, I dont imagine BB have spent the same... although I could be wrong)... as for the Skyline engine try and get the box to fit... it prolly takes up the entire engine bay lol

My last point regarding the ECU was a seperate issue, that was a stand alone question... I re-read that bit and it doesn't make too much sense lol.
    What I meant is the whole conversion is expensive but seems as though it should be cheaper for what you get is all. Nick is the only person I know of and the only person on Clio Sport that has under taken this, in honesty how many cars have you actually done this conversion for in the UK?

i loved the williams turbo that was at FCS....is there any chance you can come and bring it on our williamsclio Trackday DAVE ????

Oh and thanks for taking the time to answer our questions mate.

i got chatting to the person who owns the willy turbo that was on the BB stand! and believe it or not he lives on the other side of my town! he is registered on here(skinnyboy his nickname is i think) said he will try and get over to some of our east anglia meets! be nice to see what the beast can do!
    CLIO WILLIAMS 0215