Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    To answer a few queries....

The Jesus - Detonation is a LONG LONG way away from the work we do to build the turbo cars. We have had 270bhp on 97 octane fuel to prove it....

Yozza - Steel internals ARE NOT needed. Renault built a pretty strong bottom end on the F7 lumps and to date we have not had a bottom end failure on ANY of our turbo Clio's.

The Jesus - As above, forge pistons are NOT needed.

Andy Valver - We re-asemble the bottom end but the only thing we change are the pistons. These are swapped for a Low-comp piston which we use on the high boost conversion. The low boost kit (still 220hp on a Williams) can use the stock pistons.

If anyone would like to see proof of our Turbo Clios then visit our website for pics and Info on when we drove them to an Independant RR day at AMD with Clio sport. If your still not convinced pop down and see us. We have a Turbo'ed valver there which we have covered 30k miles on and to date, the only part needed replacing was the coil which failed due to old age.

To date we, nor any of our customers have had a problem with anyof the following :

Head gasket
    Pistons inc rings etc
    Turbo
    Chargecooler
    Bottom end

Hope this sheds some light.

Dave BBT

Dave, what compression do u go down to and what do you do about management?

Forum User
    dave, cheers for shedding some light...

pm sent:

Quote Originally Posted by POWARTEK
    Dave, what compression do u go down to and what do you do about management?
    We re-programme the OE Renault ECU. Our software allows us to turn the Renault/Siemens ECU's found in the Valver/Williams/Megane etc into more precise ECU's then anything from Gems/Omex/Autronic etc.

We use this precision ECU programming to great effect. Its the same software that gets us 280BHP from our 172 at only 12psi........

how do u go on with gearboxes, clutches and driveshafts??

Quote Originally Posted by 2 live
    how do u go on with gearboxes, clutches and driveshafts??
    Drive shafts - Never a problem

Clutches - We reccomend an uprated or at least a new clutch BUT! it depends what you want to do with it. Racing requires a racing clutch which will have a short life span and hard to drive on the road. A good road clutch will have a reasonable life span (providing it isnt mistreated) and still take a bit more punishment.

Gearbox - We have found the Williams box to be much stronger then the Valver for turbo charging. A number of our valver turbo customers have gone for the Williams box upgrade from us because they want to drive the cars hard at the pod etc. The Valver turbo we have here still has the original 80k mile valve box fitted, and has covered 30k miles in turbo form. Its held out because we arent too nasty with it. It gets thrashed yes, but sensibly (no crunching of gears etc).

Hope this helps.

Dave BBT

what about a supercharger conversion ? surely it would be much better to drive than a turbo when you take FWD into account........

I am sure its already been done in europe, not sure about UK, someone told me of a guy who fitted a Rotrex supercharger to a Dimma clio 16v (have a couple of pics), 1800cc @ 230bhp and good torque. I am thinking about the simple low-boost bolt-ons, like the charger for the VR6/325I/honda etc

Quote Originally Posted by TwisT
    what about a supercharger conversion ? surely it would be much better to drive than a turbo when you take FWD into account........

I am sure its already been done in europe, not sure about UK, someone told me of a guy who fitted a Rotrex supercharger to a Dimma clio 16v (have a couple of pics), 1800cc @ 230bhp and good torque. I am thinking about the simple low-boost bolt-ons, like the charger for the VR6/325I/honda etc
    Supercharging the Renault engine is also possible. I know because I have a regular customer in the BB shop with a Dimma kitted supercharged Valver :D (I love the Dimma kits by the way).

As for producing a sellable conversion...... On balance supercharging is a bit more expensive to get the same results from a car then it is to turbo charge it. + a turbo has alot more potential later on for extracting more power (no need to mess about with belts and manifods etc).

Everyone thinks that a turbo FWD car is uncontrollable when the boost comes in. Its true that if you have Nothing.....Nothing.......Nothing..... WOAH BOOST! Then yes it can be a real pig and no fun to drive.

The turbo kit we do has boost and power from the word go. Pop down and have a ride in our Valver....

If you fancy turboing a Clio, what about dropping a Mitsubishi 4G63T (Evo) engine in there and utilise one of the Mitsubishi fwd gearboxes that comes with an lsd.

Near enough 300bhp as standard and bomb-proof internals and will probably work out cheaper than a turbo conversion.

Or for something really different, just buy an Evo1 or 2 and transfer all the running gear over to the Clio shell. Wahey a 300bhp 4wd mk1 Clio.

Or maybe I'm just dreaming?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Ritchspeed
    If you fancy turboing a Clio, what about dropping a Mitsubishi 4G63T (Evo) engine in there and utilise one of the Mitsubishi fwd gearboxes that comes with an lsd.

Near enough 300bhp as standard and bomb-proof internals and will probably work out cheaper than a turbo conversion.

Or for something really different, just buy an Evo1 or 2 and transfer all the running gear over to the Clio shell. Wahey a 300bhp 4wd mk1 Clio.

Or maybe I'm just dreaming?

maybe its possible, ive seen a mk1 golf running 300bhp 4x4 cossie parts !

might check out your Clio turbo, Dave BB, but wouldnt a bolt on charger be cheaper than a turbo, the golf vr6 6psi bolt on charger is only £2000 fitted IIRC, low boost on stock engine ? could it be done for around £2000 on williams f7r?