59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Williams 1

28 47.46%
  • Williams 2

13 22.03%
  • Williams 3

18 30.51%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    So apart from basic things making them all differ from one an other, i.e, ABS , Sunroof and wat not,
    the engine, gearbox, overall performance are all near matched with each other..

They didn't change anything with the gear ratio or engine at all..? jst Modifed the shell and dropped the same lump in them all, so wat was in the willy 001 is basically the same as say in willy 485...

yes

<<< 1 's for me

the act of refining is the act of improving. Renault obviosuly thought abs was a better feature to have on than not. So yes, abs does fall under refinement. Refinement doesnt mean comfort neccessarily. For me the 3 wins in that it was last of the line - any small bugs will potentially have been ironed out.
    For me, the williams engine is quite boring. Its a big engine, in a small car. wow, great stuff. The old 50's pushrod in the r5 was more interesting and raw. So for me like I said if you're wanting raw fun, go 205 or r5. the whole point of the clio for me was to get a more comfrtable machine. seats are comfier build quality slightly better...
    Theres anot alot between them. But picking on the 3 saying so what - abs and a sunroof - well the counter arguement is whats so special about the williams one, a gayass gold coloured plaque? Hell, its not even the rarest. Extras of are extras peeps, nice to have - even if choose to remove, but the choice is there. I love the 3. But i sense im in minority.

there is only 1 williams. and it doesnt have any numbers stuck on the body panels ;)

unless its the maxi of course.....

Quote Originally Posted by 2 live
    there is only 1 williams. and it doesnt have any numbers stuck on the body panels ;)
    + not having any numbers stuck on makes the willy 1 even lighter!!! so its even quicker lol

Willy 1 for me. Followed by the 2 (personally I think it looks better than the 1, but it's not the original). And lastly the 3 (I like the colour, but the extras don't appeal).

The USP of the Williams is its driving experience. So with slightly less weight, it's the best out of the three at what it's supposed to be good at. You could argue the 2 and 3 (more so) were compromises on the Williams formula (better cars maybe, but not a better Williams). The fact that the great majority of people wouldn't be able to tell the difference shows how much it really doesn't matter. They're all great cars.

The definition of refinement depends on the context it is used. If you say a car is refined, it means it's a more comfortable and relaxing place to be. The definition of refining a product, however, is improving and perfecting (what you're talking about Titcharoony). But then it's personal preference as to how you think a car should be improved. So depending on your point of view the 3 could either be a refinement or a dilution of the original product.

What Zollo said is bang on imo.

Theres only ONE Clio Williams.

well you could say a product is refined...but not fully refined...and like you said, its context driven. refined in comparison to what? I was mentioned refined compared to cars such as 205 rattle-o gti, or r5 gt turbo. So in conclusion, willy 1 owners have a chip on their shoulder. ;)

being serious this time..im quite suprised to find me old 3 in silver place? thought it wud be firmly last!

Quote Originally Posted by titcharoony
    the act of refining is the act of improving. Renault obviosuly thought abs was a better feature to have on than not. So yes, abs does fall under refinement. Refinement doesnt mean comfort neccessarily. For me the 3 wins in that it was last of the line - any small bugs will potentially have been ironed out.
    For me, the williams engine is quite boring. Its a big engine, in a small car. wow, great stuff. The old 50's pushrod in the r5 was more interesting and raw. So for me like I said if you're wanting raw fun, go 205 or r5. the whole point of the clio for me was to get a more comfrtable machine. seats are comfier build quality slightly better...
    Theres anot alot between them. But picking on the 3 saying so what - abs and a sunroof - well the counter arguement is whats so special about the williams one, a gayass gold coloured plaque? Hell, its not even the rarest. Extras of are extras peeps, nice to have - even if choose to remove, but the choice is there. I love the 3. But i sense im in minority.
    I'm sorry but thats tosh in my opinion - renault had a load of abs units hanging around, thought that people liked it on the valver and it really is about time they started making it standard across the range and bolted it on.

I still firmy believe they were dumbstruck how well the one did, that people came back again for the 2's, realised that they aint gonna shift all these valvers they've still got before they stop selling the wide arch mk1 and thought '**** it' we'll make a 3.

Why does it have valver 'REFINEMENTS ', why is it a valver ph2 colour and not 449? If they had intended to make a willy 3 it would have been 449 blue and they wouldn't have have stopped making non sunroof shells.

Everyone knows that a williams is (very) basically a widetracked 2.0l valver with stickers and blue belts - a willy 3 is simply even more a valver and a collection of stuff from the spare bits box

I love willy 3's just as much as the others like I said - at the end of the day its a williams and thats good enough for me but face facts people that its the bastard child of a valver and a raggy doll

Why did they stop at a 3 and not make a williams 4? because they'd done what they set out to do and get rid of the stuff they didn't want in the way of the already well developed f4r and the mk1 172 - it wouldn't suprise me at all if they had made a 4 which was identical to the 3 if they still had bits to use.

Funny that the last year they used wide arch clio shells was 1996 on an N reg - ironically the year of the willy 3.