Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bank Charges

Bank Charges

After declining an offer of £540 from Barclays in pursuit of claiming £800, Ive recieved a letter from the Courts saying Barclays have filed a defence.....

does this mean they arent going to pay out lol?!! or is this part of their ongoing stalling tactics?

anybody had anything similar??

they aint paying you if they have a defence, i accepted my first 1400 quid offer, but looks like your going to court, may be a good idea to settle.

I was going to ttry this as im sure im due something,what does it involve as ive read somewhere they could shut your account down completely?

Threr is many sites dedicated to this bank charge lark, Search google, you will find an answer.

I got charged another 25 quid this week, After payday, i'm doing this too. Should have a few hundred me hopes.!

They will still not turn up at the court date - it costs them alot more to attend a hearing then pay out the extra £300 you are requesting. Just deffering payment.

Although a word of warning - banks are beginning to fight back in this constant debarcle regarding bank charges. In the end the terms and conditions will be re-written or charges will be changed to avoid this farce.

I also recently read in a number of articles that some judges are ruling in favour of banks - and wouldnt be suprised if this lead to more automatic 1st offer acceptances or banks co-alligning and setting up a legal team/network between them to reduce payouts.

Cant see this going on for much longer.

TBH...it is a farce...im just jumping on the band wagon!

Ive already written off declinging the offer, hence their defence. So what do you reckon i should do?? Ive got the form they sent me to accept their offer...shall i sit it out and hope they dont show, or send the form off and accept?

Do you honestly think they are just stalling me further?

In your case i cannot see them arguing - they will just pay it out.

When the stakes are higher, you know the type these idiots claiming back 7/8k then it may be worth their time but if you imagine a solicitor defending a claim for £800 when their charge out rate is £110 p/hr + admin time - just as an individual case its not worth their while.

I think if you feel uneasy about the situation to accept the offer.

Forum User
    This is a standard defence. As it stands at the moment no bank is wanting to set a legal precedent and therefore are settling sometimes minutes before the Court case takes place. The likely response from the Banks will be to recover this lucrative lost revenue stream by charging everyone for using cashpoints again, in the meanwhile it is definitely worth pursuing the banks for overcharging.

I shall stand strong then

It's a stalling tactic stan. Only reason the banks have won any cases so far is a lack of proper preparation on the claimants' part in terms of the docs they submitted to court etc.

Stick with it and best place to ask any queries once it goes further is the consumeractiongroup website.

I think they might even be taking their own action as a group in a bid to get a final decision on teh whole matter so that in future there is less room for manoeuvre by the banks.