Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bank Charges

if they have prepared ad submitted a defence, they have already incurred legal costs on your case.

I would think carfully about why they are only offering you the 540 and not the full ammount before you wait it out. If they have good reason not to refund you the 260 difference, you could lose the lot in court.

As in - to make myself clearer - if the 260 relates to charges for something that was lawful on their part, you risk losing the lot and paying the court costs to boot.

Banks are fighting back now cos its costing them millions, and most claims I have seen over £500 are being defended fully.

The banks will not fight it. They didn't take the action to court in the last two cases. The banks offered the full amounts in the end but the claimants turned them down in order to go all the way to getting a proper judge decision.

They don't offer the full amount simply 'cos that's what they do. Most will simply take the first offers.

I figured they offered a lower ammount as whatever-percentage of what I claimed for, simply to try and lessen their expenditure and not necessarily as they feel they "only owe" that much.

I dont imagine they will have resorted to incuring costs by preparing a "special" defence...its likely just a default statement they use...its not as if im claiming a massive ammount, or used any unusual tactics.

Looks like you're claiming for a similar amount to what I did for myself and the mrs each. Got a similar offer. Got the full amount in the end.

Im owed plenty and even though i have a court hearing date, they are still issuing charges on my old overdrawn account £185 this month! like there getting that out of me! they owe me over £500 atm, and as of the 13 august i will be £300+ overdrawn all due to bank charges went £3 over they have given me £300+ of charges!!!!! OUTRAGED!!! hence why im not putting any money in that account, i have bills to pay, and a hybrid to get through mot and tax this month!

Dave

Forum User
    Can't you get your bank to not let you go overdrawn? Just reject the payment?

i heard a court ruled in favour of the banks today... bit of a landmark case for the banks so i hear? get ya monies asap! this will stop
    CLIO WILLIAMS 0215

Quote Originally Posted by FATBOY
    i heard a court ruled in favour of the banks today... bit of a landmark case for the banks so i hear? get ya monies asap! this will stop
    Nah, this is the dickhead graduate barrister trying to make a name for himself. He had all his monies back off teh bank then still tried to take them to court for "damages". What a nob. Bank even offered him another £1600 to settle out of court but he pressed on in a bid to make it a test case. Judge ruled against saying his claim had no basis in law.

I assume they mean his claim for damages.

The big test case is underway soon though brought by the OFT. That will be the case and unfortunately for stan, if this is true, the BBC claim that any current court actions will be suspended until a ruling is reached. On the plus side, the banks must still honour any offers they have already made to those whose actions will be suspended, regardless of whether they win or not.