Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: its alive

Forum User
    yes. there a huge myth started by clarkson that anything over a certain horsepower is useless on a front wheel drive motor. if that was the case then the 900bhp front wheel drive cars would be no faster up the strip than the 250bhp front wheel drive cars. but they are. and by some amount.

on a road car its even more important as your not really trying to launch the car from standing start. thus a 350bhp car is going to be quicker say 60 to 100 than a 250bhp car. more important when over taking a spend less time on the wrong side of the road etc.
    also i had the wheel size vs acceleration debate. yes 15,s might by ideal for a williams but 18,s can be made to work well. yes i lose some acceleration but i gain grip and again on the road car what i may lose on acceleration i more than gain at the other end buy increased braking performance due to tyres and massive discs.

its all horses for course. with standard powered cars standard tyres standard suspension and brakes are properly the best solution but as the power increases they become a little over whelmed. which is why renault developed the wide bodied wide tracked 330m disc braked 18 inch wheel 270bhp maxi in the first place.

and its stage times where a lot quicker than a standard williams.

Ah good stuff mate,im glad about this,im hoping for 200+ when mines finished,and ive got 18's,i agree with the 15's better for Williams theory but ive had this arguement before on MSN,i may not be in the know like some but why do Touring cars have large alloys if they are crap for handling?

Cant wait to see your car in the flesh mate

Forum User
    i agree that if you just put 18,s on a 1.2 with standard suspension and brakes and power then its a step in the wrong direction. but as a well thought out package theres a crossover point where the extra grip bigger brakes reduced tyre flex out weigh the slightly heavier slower accelerating larger rims.

plus at the moment my overall unsprung weight is nearly back in valver territory anyway.

sounds sweet m8, well done. cant wait till mines done. running 15's but like you say above 60 will be rapid, but traction will be a problem off the line. but i dont care. gotta get my hands on a 320bhp chip

Forum User
    When will it be out and properly unveiled maxiboy?

Forum User
    mot and running in this week. then hopefully being used everyday after that.

Forum User
    will it be at fcs then? Or is that not your bag?

Forum User
    going to try and make it if all goes well

Forum User
    Good stuff.

Forum User
    I want to be stood at the back of it when you pull away and hear the thud, pop, cackle and bang as you twat the limiter