Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rear arches de-rusted

Dont know if this is the right section but hey

Just a quick question really...how much am i looking at paying for my rear aches to be de-rusted...also if they are done does the whole car have to be resprayed?

Forum User
    depends on where you live etc. the whole car does not need to be resprayed. on average though between 100 and 250 a side.

Im doing this at the moment, im getting rid of the rust myself. Dont worry if you cant get it all off though, get down halfords and by some wet and dry and some krust. It's a green goop and reacts with the rust and makes it solid.

Only wet and dry about an inch above the rust as you dont want to do too much spraying. Once your down to bare metal use the krust on any rust left that cant be removed. If it turns black then wash it off, If it doesnt wash it off and re apply for another 20 minutes until it is black.

You should be able to prime the arch yourself saving a lot of money at a body shop to do the top coat (colour), obviously practice if your not that good at spraying. It's best to prime it ASAP as bare metal rusts quite quick.

You wont need your car re-spraying, but they will do most of the arch and up to a crease to blend it in more. Should cost around £150 or around there.

got any pics of yours? if you do a good job you can do mine if your cheap lol

if your priming arch yourself it needs to be done with cellulose based paint which cant be bought from halfords. if you use acrylic based then it will react with the paint the bodyshop puts onto it and end up causing them hassle which will prob cost you more money. id recommend hb body 360 filler primer to prime it with.

Dont stuff it up with filler and paint over it, or you;'ll be greeted with this 6 months down the line when you grind it back...

Hmm i had to fill mine up as it was already filled! I only had 800 grit wet and dry took me 6 hours to get to bare metal

take less than six hours to get the bus to the nearest b&q and back along with some shiny new wet n dry of a harsher grade!

Haha i know but my dad can get tons of it for free so convinced me not to It wasnt my fault the filler was like half and inch thick

hammer and screwdriver/chisel would have been better idea lol