Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Forum User

Police & Numberplates

Hey guys, need some advice regarding the possible fine etc that could result from an arsy copper i met today..

I work for the MoD so we have MoD police patrolling our site and today one of them pulled me over. He claimed my front numberplate was ''too small''. It is a small plate, but mainly because the edges have been trimmed off, so it can fit into the GTiR bumper slot nicely where a square plate would have been at some point.

I have looked up on the DVLA website and it says nowt about the size of the plate itself, just the characters, so im assuming thats all that matters? I have been out and measured my letters - according to DVLA they should be 64mm high by 44mm wide, with a 10mm spacing (thankfully imports are allowed smaller letters). Mine are 60mm high by 40mm wide with a 5mm spacing.

Is this enough that i could face a fine/whatever else? The copper was quite arsy with me and in his words ''you have a weeks grace and then im gonna report you''...

Ive printed out the DVLA page, and am gonna shove it in his face next time i see him as he was quite arsy with me and really pissed me off! Just wanna make sure that being a couple of MM off isnt enough to get done for first

Forum User
    well it is. if they quote minimum then thats the minimum. any smaller even 1mm is technically illegal.

Forum User
    Heres hoping the copper doesnt carry a ruler around then

Forum User
    yeah here,s hoping but as he,s already arsy who know,s

I'd change it if I was you... you got a weeks grace so use it.

Forum User
    Yeh was thinking of getting a plate to carry round in the glovebox. Just slap it on when this copper comes looking for me (as he no doubt will!)..Trouble is a standard plate wont fit onto the bumper recess properly, will look well out of place :(

Forum User
    cant you make a plate with the right sized letters and spacing that still fits.

Forum User
    Thats basically what this one is, a standard plate with the border trimmed down so its only just bigger than the letters themselves - it just sucks that the letters have been made a couple of mm too small.

The previous owner assured me it was legal, he had gone through MOTs with it on - does that give me any justification for having it?

do the red caps have the authority to check anyones cars then???? are they trained to deal with things like illegal number plates???
    CLIO WILLIAMS 0215

Forum User
    That was what the guys i worked with were saying - they were pretty sure that the copper was out of order pulling me over in the first place lol