Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Forum User

Insuring engine conversion

Anyone any ideas how i can 'bend' the rules on insuring my car, curently insured as a 1.8 8v RSi, and its not cheap, but someone put the idea in my head of a 2.0 conversion, i know i can stick a 2.0 bottem end on but its not gonna make a massive difference apparently, so if i go for a williams engine any ideas how i can get insured pretty cheaply, need to get a quote off competition car insurance, but apart from that and not decaliring it, any ideas?

Banned
    Tell them its a 1.8??

J o n
    yeah, as Rob says tell em it's a 1.8 as they are unlikely to measure the bore and pistons in the event of a crash/claim...

Forum User
    I don't think there any way to 'hide' a 2ltr or 1.8 16v TBH - it won't bolt to your head so you'll be left with a radically different looking engine.

I'd go with the 2ltr 8V BE - ok it won't add much bhp but should add a mass of torque...if you coupled that to a worked head it'd be a bit of a beast IMO. You can pick the entire engine up peanuts so you could have everything done and then take half a day to drop it in ratehr than loosing the use of your car by just doing BE...

J o n
    nah, insure it as a valver and 2.0 it mate, that's where the power is really at, you'll instantly be in the mid to low 14 seconds down the strip on the standard engine. EASY

Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJesus
    nah, insure it as a valver and 2.0 it mate, that's where the power is really at, you'll instantly be in the mid to low 14 seconds down the strip on the standard engine. EASY
    True but think of the cost (insurance and parts). The 2ltr 8v route hasn't really been explored as far as i know and given the fact that Hillpower can get a 1.6 energy to keep up with a standard willy shows theres good possibilties...

J o n
    yeah know what your saying, guess it depends on whether or not he wants/needs that sort of power.

a 1.6 energy keeping up with a std williams... what did it have done, how good an example was the Williams, as 1.6 is not a very good engine for tuning afaik...

Forum User
    I'm defo thinking the 2.0 bottem end route, will speak to my 'sources' and see if i can find a nice low milage one, and give it an overhaul, and then see if i can persuade someone to give me a hand dropping it in for a day's supply of beer, i could prolly do it on my own, i'm just not that confidant, and i woudln't know where to start timing it

Forum User
    Jesus: IIRC it was running a standalone EMS and had headwork too, possibly cam. I think it was the 1.4 SPI RT > 1.6 MPI demo car they had and was keeping up until 100 apparently!

Lunner: Not just get a complete 2ltr engine to save the hassle?

Forum User
    Because i can do a 2.0 bottem and and cams/headwork wihtout having to tellt he insurence, if i drop a 2.0 16v in there i need to tell them because it looks different