Idle Control Valve

Been having idle problem after hard driving with revs settling at 1600 RPM. Took ICV off and gave it a good clean and got loads of black crap out of it and freed the mechanism.

When I refitted it the car was not much different idle wise but I noticed that when the ignition is on but the engine is not running there is a feint humming noise coming from the ICV, is this normal or does this mean it's knackered?

Any ideas

Also is it possible to remove the ICV and "con" the engine to still work ok

Daz

the idle fix u need is to re earth the connection at the back of the speedo clock in the dash on the top of the speedo cable. clip the black wire on the speedo cable side of the multiplug (not the loom side) and re-earth it to the metal of the chassis behind the dash

if ISVC wasnt working engine wud idle really high or engine wud cut out soon as its started, not after driving!

Quote Originally Posted by Coops
    the idle fix u need is to re earth the connection at the back of the speedo clock in the dash on the top of the speedo cable. clip the black wire on the speedo cable side of the multiplug (not the loom side) and re-earth it to the metal of the chassis behind the dash

if ISVC wasnt working engine wud idle really high or engine wud cut out soon as its started, not after driving!

so if when you start the car the revs are varying between 1000rpm and about 1300rpm going up and down between them what would be the usual fix? Just wondering as I've never hear of the thing with the speedo cable behind the dash before.

nope, hunting revs is something else, lamba sensor maybe? cant remeber

the speedo one is if it idles fine on start up but thrash the car or go over certain rpm/speed it will then idle at 1500 odd rpm till engine is turned off and on again

ok, thanks. Think I'll start another thread though rather than clog this one up.

with idle issues mate do a search, there literally thousands of threads on here about them! and tbh they crop up so often most people are sick of replyin so it tends to not get much notice if u post a new one!

Forum User
    i have produced a guide... in the relevant area

Erm...................I might have snipped the wrong black wire there is two of em.

I've snipped and re earthed it but the idle problem is still there.

There are three very thin wires (Black Yellow, White) attached to the speedo plug that goes into the back of the dials, is it the black one of these or is it the thicker wire from a multi plug close by? (Same colour wires)

Yippee it's fixed

sort of................revs are now dropping back down after hard driving, sometimes sticks at 1200rpm but blip the throttle and it drops. I reckon that is now just the ISCV needing a bit more cleaning.

Forum User
    my speed sensor is not attached to the cable should it be or is it ok if its not i only get the high some times