Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Cooling Fan not working

Cooling Fan was rattling about not connected to anything and had also chopped through it's own wires.

Took the assembly off the car and rewired it today, also tested it on the battery to make sure it worked before I refitted it and it was fine.

When refitted I ran the engine to see if it kicked in at the normal point (When needle hits half way on the water temp gauge I thought) and it didn't.

Got the haynes sado manual out and followed the test for the temp sensor in the radiator (short it out with a bit of wire) still didn't work. [Should this make the fan run even if the water temp has dropped below threshold?]

Did the same test on the temp sensor in the engine block but still nothing.

Fuse in engine bay box is ok. is there a relay for the main fan somewhere? or something else that I've missed?

Cheers

Daz

To get the fan to run you need to short out the connector on the wire that connects to the sensor, not the sensor itself - just incase you were doing it the wrong way round. If it then works, which it should if you tested it before then its probably the sensor on the radiator thats knackered.

Quote Originally Posted by donsrno1
    To get the fan to run you need to short out the connector on the wire that connects to the sensor
    Yeah that's what I was doing. It's been like this for some time, could that have caused the sensor in the radiator to fail?

Have a look for melted wires in the relay box.

Mat.

Funny enough i have the same issue,

I Have changed the Fan Switch, rewired it and let the engine temp get up to fan kickin temp, nothing at all,

Bridged the fan direct to the battery, No problem, fan kicked straight it.
    Did notice wires have melted so had to rewire and make amendments, Now no joy at all ,

Checked all fuse's and even put a low amp fuse in fuse box to see if it would blow the fuse, no joy again,

I am completely out of thinking power, for what could be causing..?

knackered fan switch, new doesn't mean it works ;)

Quote Originally Posted by mike16valver
    I Have changed the Fan Switch, rewired it and let the engine temp get up to fan kickin temp, nothing at all
    You need to let it hit around the 10am major mark on water dial to confirm the fan switch's operation. What are the temperature markings on the fan switch? Should read something like 93/80 or something similar. 93C to turn on and 80C to turn off.

I havnt checked the numbers on the fan switch, will do tho,

I let my engine, run past the second thick bar and 2 noches above that, but nothing happened at all,

Wasn't daring enough to let it go any higher.. :s

Quote Originally Posted by mike16valver
    I let my engine, run past the second thick bar and 2 noches above that, but nothing happened at all
    If you take the major horizontal mark as the first mark - the fan should trigger between the third and fourth major mark. Usually closer to the fourth mark when using the original fan switch. For the non-standard low temperature fan switch, I think the fan triggers when just past the third major mark.

Ahhhh right i see,
    I have been letting my needle go basically between the 2nd and the 3rd major mark,

I have been basing it on my 1.4rt engine where the fan roughly kicks in about the 2nd major mark or just over.
    I no they're different engines completely, but i thought been a bigger engine, generates 10x more heat, i thought the fan would be the same or a bit lower..?