Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Forum User
    Well there were around 5000 of them sold iirc and the reason there are not many about are:

1) Bastard to work on, so cost a lot to run = unreliable = people give up on them = they end up being broken for parts = end up at the scrapyard

2) They rust themselves away

3) Bastard to work on, so cost a lot to run = unreliable = people give up on them = they end up being broken for parts = end up at the scrapyard

Nice cars but they're getting on a bit and a mixture of 'common problems', exspensive repair bills have led to their decline.

Looking at production/sales figures numbers started dropping rapidly once the williams was released.

My guess was that the price difference wasn't great enough to justify not buying a Willy. Plus it simply got over-shadowed.

I agree they are rare, don't see any valvers around Runcorn where I live or Chester where I work, there's only a willy 3 I see around, that's it. 205 gti's are rare too, think most old french hot hatches have been thrashed to death or wrapped or neglected, that's my theory anyway!

i've seen like 3 valvers in 2 years around sheffield.

1 Willy too, but then it vanished, think he was on these forums but got banned?

My mates just bought a 16v. Theres another one by me with a 5gtt engine in and i see a few of them dotted around. Then theres my Williams and a Willy 2 that i know of that has recently been sold and thats about it. I wouldnt say they are rare, they just arent clit cars like saxo's!

Forum User
    more and more seem to be poping up in and around manchester

They are rare, but if you look in the autotrader is usually full of them lol

Quote Originally Posted by Zollo
    They had quite a short production life compared to the other hot hatches remember. The Pug and Golf were both made for eight years, the Valver was only made for about five. That might make a difference. And for more than half that time, there was the Williams sharing forecourt space

Higher running costs will make a difference too, particularly as they get older. And rust will definitely effect numbers!

I don't think they were underrated when released. All the mags gave it good reviews.
    isnt the golf gti still made???? albeit a ghastly hideous monster of a car????
    CLIO WILLIAMS 0215

Banned
    I've seen 0 Valvers up here. Well I lie, I saw one which was being broken in Co.Durham. That's it. I've never past one ever ever ever whilst driving around. Rare as anything. Kinda cool in one respect.

Just to echo's peoples comments on repairs as well. After picking mine up a few times from the garage the bloke always says "what a pig of a job" it was working on it. Lol. loves it! Top fella though, so I don't think mind. Lol.

Its rare enough for one guy to ask me if it was a 1.2 and another guy to say to me "i dont like what you have done to the bonnet" lol