Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hydraulic clutch.

(I think i put this topic up before, but after searching for 20 mins I couldn't find it.)

Anyway...

Today just going to work, I discovered what an absolute bugger the clutch is on the clio. Trying to ride the clutch is a flippen nightmare. I stalled it twice on way to work, lol. Sitting in slow moving traffic is the worst though with constant stop starts up hill. The clutch doesn't feel heavy in normally operation, but come to trying to hold it and ride it, it is a nightmare.

Surely there must be someone out there that has finally cracked and converted to a hydraulic clutch? Does any other manufacturer use this engine/clutch housing?

'If' my engine goes I will look long and hard at trying out a hyrdaulic clutch arrangement, cos frankly the clio's is utter garbage.

Matthew

you can do a soft pedal converstion by using a longer clutch fork off a volvo (not sure which model now) if your a big girl you'll get used to it! i dotn have a problem with mine

I've used cable clutches before on mini's. But there were never as bad as this... and that's on cars that were 30years old when i bought them!

Matthew

The soft pedal parts can be sourced from a 172.

Mat.

Thanks guys

As mentioned in the other thread, it seems to be giving me a bad hip, so I will keep an eye out for 172/volvo parts.

Does anyone have a photo of the actual bits I need please?

Matthew

Stop being a wimp, valver clutches are easy to use i reckon, better than soft clutches.

lol, thankyou for the emphathy ;) but i want it to a pleasure to drive not a nightmare. This is gonna be my everyday car, and if I have to drive a clio, I want to make the best I can of it. The more I like it the more I will bring knowledge to the club through experimentation/guides/having a laugh, so at least try to help laine.

Now i've brought my handbag out.. i'm waiting to see how many bricks you can put in yours before you slap me with it lol

(But honestly I find it hard to use this particular clutch, and thats compared to even driving a knackered council and age concern vehicles around when I used to work agency work.)

Matthew

Have you got a genuine clutch cable? A non-genuine cable makes the clutch a total nightmare.

If you were to have a new clutch and cable fitted you would see that they are not that bad in standard guise.

Mat.

I have noticed that it seems to catch/click at times, however I think that may be down to a lack of heatshield (another thread and trying to get one asap).

I have adjusting the throttle cable as well so there is very little slack. This has helped matters with judgement it seems, but obviously does nothing for the clutch itself.

Matthew