Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Urgent help and advice needed please....

Just been driving home from work now, i was accellerating upto the slip road to join a fast moving 60mph dual carriageway when i heard an almighty 'bang!' it sounded as though the car had been hit with something. All of a sudden, like in a movie, i had hardly any brakes! scary shit! lol i coasted off the dual carriageway and pulled over to find...

... the passenger side rear calliper was at the top of the disc miles from where it should be and it had lost its pads! is this a common fault? its dark so i cant give it a thorough inspection but i will be needing the car for work and want to be able to patch it up until i can get it sorted. it makes sense that the caliper bracket may have broken or could it be the actual disc? any suggestions as to what it could be?

all help appreciated

just read through that and it seems similar, however, the disc looks fine with no pieces ripped off like that? i think the carrier snapped which allowed the calliper to move and then the pads fell out afterwards, if the carrier has broken is it a simple swap and change or is it change the whole disc, rear beam etc... :( not happy

worked on the brakes recently
    ?

Forum User
    difficult to say without pics really.

not touched them stan, only had the car from a previous member a number of weeks and havent done anything. it passed its MOT though so should all be ok. one thing to mention is now the handbrake is tight and wont go on from its off position, im presuming its because the cable has been pulled tight due to the caliper moving? i will try and get some pics tomorrow when i get the wheel off. anyone thing of anything that it could be? anyone local to me with loads of knowledge able to have a look this weekend for some cash in hand? im in warrington area

while this has happened i may as well bite the bullet and get a full brake set up, font and back, discs, pads etc..... How much are the discs with already pressed in bearings from renault? can you get away with simply changing the discs? not sure on the set up so sorry if its a dumb question. im presuming front standard discs with ds2500 or similar, braided hoses and what about the rear?

Here are some pics- after close inspection it appears the pad retaining spring has not been fitted properlly, the pads have come loose and out allowing the caliper piston to open out fully onto the disc causing the carrier to grip suddenly and its sheered off all 4 carrier bolts and pulled off the brake feed pipe! all in all a lucky escape and testamount to Renaults 'cross over' brake design which still left me with some amount of braking capacity!

carrier is undamaged, bearing looks and feels good, disc isnt damage, but the bolts will need drilling out which is what im going to try this afternoon.

pics:

This is the pic as i took the wheel off, obviously the caliper isnt supposed to be round there! and the pads are missing

Here is a closer pic of the caliper and bent break pipe:

you can just about see the missalignment of the carrier holes:

Im majorly pissed off, as not only are the rear brakes having problems due to bad fitment, the fronts are ruined too... by an all together seperate incident. thankfully i may get away with a patch up job to get me through this week, having to hire a car till tues tho to give me time to get the parts i need which im not happy about. im hoping i can get the bolts from Gaz and after i have drilled them out fit the new ones and build it all back up. can someone give me a detailed description on how to bleed the breaks? mine has ABS but it is disabled for track use, not sure if that makes a difference?

Forum User
    what has happened then. did the bolts fall out or snap off etc.

well having looked at everything, its apparent the pad retaining clip has been fitted incorrectly, this has allowed one of the pads to come loose and eventually the other one, these fell out and allowed the caliper piston to fully exert itself and catch on the disc. this gripped it suddenly and turned the housing/carrier around 45 degrees, snapping off the carrier mounting bolts. just been to homebase for some drill bits as im going to have to drill them out! the brake line is broken at the inlet bolt but should be repairable. im trying to get some bolts from ste at port formance from a salvage car, then im going to have to buy some pads with retaining clip from halfords or somewhere. anyone know where i can get a new retaining clip?