Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum User

My engine has just died, symptoms inside!

Car: L reg 1.4 RT 100k

Been snowing here most of the day, I popped out for a drive at about 9.30pm and after driving through a snow covered carpark my car began to splutter. So i thought it was either just because of the cold or i had got a bit of water in my engine; usually clears itself.
    Came to a set of traffic lights and the car stalled, i then started it and had a bit of trouble but managed to get away.
    The next lights i came to i managed to keep it running, however the lights after that it stalled. I tried to start the car but it gave out the biggest backfire i've ever heard pulled over with hazards on, gave it a couple of mins and tried again, BANG again!
    I then rang a mate and got him to tow me back, now the car wont start at all and has lost at least half of its water from the header tank.

Is it ****ed? if so...i was planning on dropping a valver or Rsi engine in there this summer anyhow...

Thanks, Gav

Forum User
    Has decat and stainless cat back exhaust by the way.

if it's losing coolant i'd check the headgasket, the bang may have been water in the cylinders causing it to missfire

Forum User
    how much fuel is in the car? could be a number of things, try starting it to day see ifit has cleared...

Forum User
    I had put a tenner in about 15mins before so there was plenty of fuel. Just had a look now and all the coolant has gone from the header tank, no mayo under the oil cap though. And the battery is now dead due to trying to start it last night too many times, i'll get some leads on it later and try then.
    Is there anything else i can look at while i'm waiting?

Thanks, Gav.

Forum User
    pour some coolant in, see if its leaking.

Forum User
    yes check the oil level as the water may have gone here. otherwise its gone into the cylinders and out the exhaust. remove plugs and check there colour. do a compression check.

Forum User
    Found where its leaking, a hose coming from the header tank to the right angle piece attached to the engine? Sorry i'm not sure what it's called.
    Just started it, had to hold revs at around 2500 to keep it running, it was running on all cylinders with a bit of white smoke coming from the exhaust. It seemed to be running as normal
    I then let it tick over itself and it cut out.

When i tried starting again a couple of mins later it wouldnt start, after 10-15 secs of trying it backfired again, very loud! Tried again and again it backfired so i've left it for now.

I'm going to remove the plugs now and check those, i'm not sure what it's called but on the left shocker strut there is a block with about 6 wires going into it, that is wet. Could that be anything to do with it? Oil level is normal also

Thanks for any help

Forum User
    sounds liek rue headgasket has gone mate. and white smoke if a give a way aswell.

spin her over with the lugs out and see what sprays out, if head gasket has gone between water channel and bore youll get more than a bit of fuel come out