Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Clio 225 Turbo

That'll be the Renault Clio Renaultsport 197 F1 Team R27... Renault F1 Team World Champions Special Edition Cup Version 1. Or something
    just off the top of your head

J o n
    Quote Originally Posted by Zollo
    What, the rumours or the car?!

Would be very surprised if they did do it to be honest. Although I did read it in Autocar so it must be true
    both lol.

they wont bring out a turbo until they see a drop in sales and unwillingness to upgrade to newer models... so maybe the next (Mk4?) Clio will have a turbo, but they wont do it on this chassis platform, it makes no sense, it would totally eclipse the current 197 and how would the insurance work, it would have to be group 18-20 with a big power increase... not to mention it would cost more to buy as the engine would be newly developed and not just an F7 with make-up... then there's traction issues... yet more costs... aint gonna happen basically.

but the clio's nearly as big as the megane now anyway... and they've turbo'd that

Quote Originally Posted by TheJesus
    then there's traction issues... yet more costs...
    Autocar said it would use the LSD from the R26 Megane.

Don't see why it definately wouldn't happen. The Megane will be due for replacement at some point, so will probably get more power/weight then. Which would provide an opportunity for the Clio to move up a notch in terms of performance and price.

It would eclipse the current 197, yes. But then the Williams eclipsed the Valver. And the Focus RS totally eclipsed the ST170. And the Cooper S eclipses the Cooper. And in some peoples eyes the R32 Golf totally eclipses the GTi. So there's room in the market for two versions of the same hot hatch it seems. And people are willing to pay a very large premium (£4k, in the case of the Golf). Insurance? Well, the Willy was Group 17 back in the day when insurance premiums were completely overblown.

Not saying it definately will go ahead. But I wouldn't rule it out completely.

Only reason I can see it wouldn't happen is if there's a desire to keep it N/A.

Other than that it should drop straight in.

J o n
    Quote Originally Posted by Zollo
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJesus
    then there's traction issues... yet more costs...
    Autocar said it would use the LSD from the R26 Megane.

Don't see why it definately wouldn't happen. The Megane will be due for replacement at some point, so will probably get more power/weight then. Which would provide an opportunity for the Clio to move up a notch in terms of performance and price.

It would eclipse the current 197, yes. But then the Williams eclipsed the Valver. And the Focus RS totally eclipsed the ST170. And the Cooper S eclipses the Cooper. And in some peoples eyes the R32 Golf totally eclipses the GTi. So there's room in the market for two versions of the same hot hatch it seems. And people are willing to pay a very large premium (£4k, in the case of the Golf). Insurance? Well, the Willy was Group 17 back in the day when insurance premiums were completely overblown.

Not saying it definately will go ahead. But I wouldn't rule it out completely.
    Willy is a fairly big step up, but a 197 turbo'd would be a monsterous step up from the current NA engine lol. Like you say, wont be until the Meggy becomes fatter and more powerful, I think the next true Mk4 will possibly be boosted, not on this shape though... it would be nice though, I'd possibly consider one... providing the engine and box are all made by Nissan and not Renault... 6 speed Getrag box out the R34 would be nice :D

you gotta consider the car class as well.

The clio 197 is in the same group as the Fiesta ST 170, the 206 GTi and such. Its one of the leaders in its class performance wise, so they have no need to upgrade it further.

The megane on the other hand is competing with the likes of the Golf R32, the Focus RS/ST whatever its called these days.

I cant see them making a 225 hp clio tbh, that would be a direct threat to the megane.

The 197 special edition jobby they showed on top gear on sunday is a glorified cup, special edition for the consecutive F1 wins. Same as the Megane F1 special edition.

Quote Originally Posted by nyk
    The 197 special edition jobby they showed on top gear on sunday is a glorified cup, special edition for the consecutive F1 wins. Same as the Megane F1 special edition.
    Like wot I said

mk4 probably won't need boosting. Weight on modern cars should start to come down in teh next few years, especially given today's announcament on CO targets by the EU.

All sorts of more sophisitcated construction techniques are being investigated in order to keep cars large for safety but light for economy.

Forum User
    renault wont turbo a clio, will proberly be a long time before they do!