Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    impossible.

i was actually thinking of a mini cooper s charger

i spoke to a place that provides charger kits and they mentioned you could run a low boost intercooled charger on standard internals is this true?

and if it is would a remappable chip be adequate or would you need a standalone for this setup

labour would be done by me and i'ds be very happy with 230bhp :D

Banned
    Heres a pic of one

is it just driven off the same belt as the alternator ?

Forum User
    yeah. but there no room for that!!!

As with turbocharging..theres the right way which works WELL and provides consistent and reliable power...then there's the cheap way, which may work but is far from ideal.

as always, you pays your money.......

The above picture is the latter.

Forum User
    theres one for sale but it a dimma 5500

I don't see what is so hard about turbocharging personally. The only problems really are matching components correctly (i.e. don't slap on a massive turbo on a small volume engine + correct cams, and making sure you have the management done properly.

Only other things to consider are
    1) use high capacity oil pump to ensure that enough oil goes through the turbo to keep it cool/lubed without coking up the oil.
    2) Matched injectors
    3) Engine rebuild using low compression engine.
    4) A reliable gearbox that can take the torque developed by the turbo (which I suspect costs uber amounts, prob more than the engine to get a reliable one).

You only really need to buy the manifold for the turbo conversion (well you could get one made up), the other stuff you don't need. Spend wisely and get it properly mapped, starting off by over fueling. Then do an oil change as it will have contaminated your oil with excess fuel.

Supercharging is more difficult ONLY because it relies on belts/pulleys to get the boost, which is harder to match to the car. Getting a cheap supercharger from ebay is like getting a fake Garrett turbo off ebay from XS POWER (Never buy anything from that company), it will most likely be unreliable.

Even the mini 850 in the 1960's had a supercharger made for it by a company called Shorrock. It made the mini like it had a 2L in it lol.

I would say if your thinking about a forced air conversion of any sort, then make sure you have the funds, don't attempt it on a shoe string, unless you have a spare car. There are drawbacks to a turbo'd car over N/A so fully research in advance, and good luck.

And before anyone tries to say "your wrong about this and that", I have already turbo'd an N/A A-Series engine with success.

Matthew

Banned

Another clio supercharger