Heater Matrix --- Done

All I needed was 2 sizes of torx 10/14mm sockets, the odd screwdriver and be in a good mood.

Took dash out, undid all screws etc, as per manual – not completely out, just slid it back a bit, so as would give clearance for getting the heater bit out from the passenger side footwell. Stereo out – centre console out – all dials off - Thought I would have to drill top rivets out, but there is a black clip that holds all to the front, in middle – just half turn off and will release the whole lot.
    Drain coolant.
    Wipers off
    Engine dept – took all the scuttle panels off, and windscreen rubber etc at the bottom of the screen – 5 screws hold it all in – full of crap, so good chance of a clean up as you go –
    Take jack out, and remove relays and injection box (all in one go – did not have to dis – connect as can just move back out the way.
    Wiper motor off wi bracket etc – take note of where the norm stopped position is – comes out in the 1 lot
    Blower cover off, blower itself out – remem to disconnect from wiring – and not haul the whole resistor out as I did –
    Undo single bolt which holds the matrix dept in, and then will all become loose
    Back into passenger side footwell and realise dash is not back enough – so wiggle it a bit more and you will get there with another load of swearing and thinking Renault are bastards. Will just manage to get it out, with a bit of wiggling about, and take the foam/metal pad with it. - Done
    New one in, and make it all secure again – I then put blower etc back on – connected dials up etc, put coolant in, checked for leaks and fired it up – 5 mins later, no bleeding – Toasty Car :P
    Everything all went back together fine, and was easy to do – good chance to change the odd blown bulb
    From start to finish took me about 5/6 hours along with some other peeing about I did, worth it tho is the 1st time I have driven it in about 18 months and been warm.

Hope helps you cold people out there.......

Pete F

Just about to start stripping the interior in a second so I can do mine this sat when I swap cooling system over from the other car.

What did you do with the dash again? You mention not pulling it all the way out. How far do you reckon you pulled it in the end?

I undid most of the whole thing - if you know what i mean, and got the dash back to a bit of an angle, more space at the passenger side - and was enough to contort yourself down and get the old one out - watch you dont hurt the new one getting it back in - ? and dont be to fierce with the dash - i didnt take the steering wheel off, so that gives an idea of how far.

thing that pissed me off was that the one that came out looked abs fine....

hope helps a little - ask away while it is still fresh in my small brain if i can help at all.

cheers

Pete

What did just piss me off (just spent an hour stripping the trim as per Haynes) was when Haynes says to remove the lower footwell trim. They say to carefully remove the trim. What they don't say is you'll struggle and when you do eventually get the bit near the rear seat to twang out you'll realise it's actually held to the body with a screw clip.

This site needs a spaz smiley for some of the Haynes gaffs. On the pass. side I opted to just pull the trim back to undo the earthing points.

I'll get most of teh rest of the trim out tomorrow night and the dash pulled forward ready to finish the job saturday morning.