Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Engine swap

Engine swap

1.4 Lump coming out.

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/9637/img3459vh3.jpg
    Getting the ECU out

Anyone fancy a good used 2nd hand radiator? :D

Donor Valver - raped.

Aaeron (ronsvalver), working on the valver lump, the water pump, cambelt and clutch were all changed.

Much bigger than the 1.4 in comparison.

Aux belt off, cambelt being tensioned.

Radiator off the valver going in.

[img][/img]
    Dropping the valver in, this was difficult, mainly because it was so big and secondly the front panel wasn't removable so there was very little room to work in, the subframe had to be dropped on the passenger side to get the gearbox in right.

Just got about in, and seated on it's mounts. Then we fitted the downpipe and lambda and exhaust.

Fitting the valver loom, this was also difficult as it didn't just plug and play like intended, instead we can to fabricate another loom where it interconnects with the 1.4 loom. The valver ECU was also chipped with a limit of 7500 instead of 6250.

Immobiliser wires causing grief.

Brakes (R21t), driveshafts, shocks and springs on from the valver.

Bleeding the brakes, used the master cylinder off the valver - used a lot of parts off the valver, it was only £60 as well.

Trying to fit the aux clocks off the valver but the loom was slightly different for the 1.4 so need them from a 94+ valver, mine was a 91.

Finished product.

This thing is great fun coming from the 1.4, the insurance just means that it goes to grp 12 which is fine (Adrian Flux). The power compared to the 1.4 is much better, it pulls hard right up to 7k RPM, not taken it to the limiter yet. The only problems it was having was a high idle which was suspected to be the ISCV.

However my fun has been cruelly cut short due to the head gasket going. We didn't change it while the engine was out (wish we had now) and that is going to cost £400+ great. This was suspect as soon as the engine was going, as the water was boiling even though engine temps were fine, ahh well, live and learn.

I think it's definitely worth the cost though as it's a fun little car now, fast enough for me at the moment too. Just a shame about the HG (got a payen one to go on, but i cba to do the work). So yeah big thanks to Aaeron as he did most of the work and traveled quite far to help out every day for a week!

well done guys looks like hard work with the front panel and rad in before the engine
    pity about the clocks n h/g going tho

Forum User
    I recently just did the 16v conversion to my 1.4 clio, as u sed, so much more powerful and fun. The only problem i had was that my gearbox went a day after having it, someone off the site sed it was a fine working gearbox, obviously not.... Im gunna have to pay about £800 for a williams box which is nice Should hopefully have some of my conversion pics up soon wen the guy that did the conversion sends me them.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick16v
    I recently just did the 16v conversion to my 1.4 clio, as u sed, so much more powerful and fun. The only problem i had was that my gearbox went a day after having it, someone off the site sed it was a fine working gearbox, obviously not.... Im gunna have to pay about £800 for a williams box which is nice Should hopefully have some of my conversion pics up soon wen the guy that did the conversion sends me them.
    why dont u put a valver box on it

Is that Aaron working there, i recognise that face?

"Aaeron (ronsvalver), working on the valver lump, the water pump, cambelt and clutch were all changed. "

:D

well done mate! been watching this one for a while now :D enjoy ;)

Aye he does work hard that Aaron, changed the gearbox on Chris's valver did a cracking job on that!

yup, he's a good lad. Knows what he's doing and doesn't stop until it's done!!

Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick16v
    why dont u put a valver box on it
    I want a box thats gunna last.

Forum User
    standard valver lumps rev to over 7000rpm anyway, 7300rpm iirc and 7800rpm when chipped. you sure its chipped?

Gutted for you about the hg but at least you'll have the go to match the show when its finished!