Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum User

Hybrid Rough Running - Any help would be appreciated

After swapping looms over today and everything else that has been a total nightmare I finally got the engine started first turn of the key. It runs but Idle is a little fluctuant, it sounds like it's miss firing but it's not, the exhaust is pumping out serious amount of pressure.

Sounds to me like timing is out?

I removed the brand new Renault spark plugs and all 4 were black (over fueling??)

Obviously I did not let the engine warm up and switched it off.

The engine is running Vernier's and 261 cams...Will post pictures of the plugs up in a sec...Any ideas lads? Craig :(

Forum User

Forum User
    cams make a car run lumpy lower down the rev range, usually improves on tick over once the engine is warm. But still could be more too it than that. The things that could be wrong are endless, and vernier pulleys just adds to that. What are they set at?
    Have you changed the dizzy cap and rotor lately, plug leads? Could also be a fueling problem etc etc

Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Riley
    cams make a car run lumpy lower down the rev range, usually improves on tick over once the engine is warm. But still could be more too it than that. The things that could be wrong are endless, and vernier pulleys just adds to that. What are they set at?
    Have you changed the dizzy cap and rotor lately, plug leads? Could also be a fueling problem etc etc
    It is really lumpy though, like a bloody drag car lol.

Stan set my vernier pulleys up. I know that the Exhaust is retarded 4* but im not sure about the Inlet vernier (must be at least 15* by the looks of it).

The cap and leads seem to be fine...I removed the leads 1-by-1 when the engine was ticking over but each lead made a difference when removed (although not as big a difference as I would have thought?) so it doesnt seem to be a missing spark.

Should I recheck the timing and reset the verniers back to stock settings? Its a total nightmare with the engine in the car trying to work around the belts

Forum User
    personally id reset them back to stock, see what it runs like then. If you have no running problems then you know its just due to the way the verniers are set up. See what some others on here think

Forum User
    Alright mate, Cheers Riley

Forum User
    Here is a video I took. May make things clearer

http://media.putfile.com/engine-52

Forum User
    wtched the video mate and to be fair that how id expect a cammed engine to run on tick over, try increasing the revs slightly to see if it comes to run smooth

Forum User
    I will try and drive it down the road tomorrow after putting the slam panel back on but I dont want to damage the valves or anything if it is out. It doesn't seem right to me the fact that the plugs are that dark in colour aswell I know its still on cold start but still?

Cam timing is set to the cam manufacturers specs.

The vid is short, but that seems fine mate. Have you let her get up to temp?

Dont forget, if you keep cold starting, then the plugs will foul.

Any problems, give me a ring.