Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Big brakes

Forum User
    whats best price on willwoods?

heard bad things about hi spec!

stnd brakes are fine imo

Wilwood capipers are only circa £75 each.

If your calipers are working as they should...i.e the whole system is up to scratch (and your yres are half tidy) you shouldnt have a problem with the above set-up. But theres no point trying to hide a fundamental mechanical problem by buying different discs and pads!

I prefer this set up^^^ to 4pots....the pedal feel is SOO much nicer.

Forum User
    of course u need the whole system working as it should! the valver it all works fine just i prefer the 4pots! only problem i have with them is the brakes squeel more but i dont drive it alot so not a big problem! lol

i also had mintex 1144 pads/brembo discs before the 4pots, all new calipers with goodridge braided hoses and fully rebleed, good but not as good as 4pots imo, suppose what size 4pots u get helps too, i know stromba had problems with his, im sure his had bigger pistons then my wilwoods have iirc

Quote Originally Posted by Andy P
    Quote Originally Posted by Willy Lover
    the 285 kit doesn't seem to bad for the money
    K-tec kit is s**t imo. Matt doesnt rate them either.
    I have had 2 lots of this kit, and must say that the stopping power is definately no better over standard. It's more for looks, as in theory the calipers are still that same size, just with bigger discs, so you don't stop any quicker. I'd either try to get the standard set-up up to scratch with new/re-furbed parts or even better...invest in some 4 pots, if u want real stopping power for track use etc. iirr u need to get a custom bracket made up though, in order to use the Willwood calipers.

I had valver brakes on my 1.4 when i had it. I think the only difference is that the discs are bigger (caliper looked the same just extended) and it stopped on its nose with standard discs and pads. So bigger discs must increase your stopping power as they have more leverage on the wheel.

Dan

Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyH16valver
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy P
    Quote Originally Posted by Willy Lover
    the 285 kit doesn't seem to bad for the money
    K-tec kit is s**t imo. Matt doesnt rate them either.
    I have had 2 lots of this kit, and must say that the stopping power is definately no better over standard. It's more for looks, as in theory the calipers are still that same size, just with bigger discs, so you don't stop any quicker. I'd either try to get the standard set-up up to scratch with new/re-furbed parts or even better...invest in some 4 pots, if u want real stopping power for track use etc. iirr u need to get a custom bracket made up though, in order to use the Willwood calipers.
    You might not have noticed any difference, but the laws of phtsics state that if the clamping force is further from the pivot then the effect said clasmping force has will be greater.......kinda like using a great big breaker bar compared to a 150mm rachet

Forum User
    noticed a difference with my 285 kit

Rebuilt calipers, brembo max and ds2500 disks and the ABS fuse taken out are where its at lol

Matt

The standard setup is perfectly good for the road, but on the track it definately doesn't inspire as much confidence as the 4-pots and they definately won't last as long before fading (or melting through to the caliper piston!). With better pads, though, I reckon the standard setup is fine.

I was worried I'd lose feedback/feel and sensitivity through the pedal with the Wilwoods, but I was actually very surprised - hardly any different to the standard setup