Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    To clarify for Bayliss. When you state I was wrong about the road tyre thing above, I was writing that in response to Mr Zollo's comment that it was weird that shit road tyres could be better on track than good road tyres. I wasn't referring at all to slicks there.

With regard to Northy's comment on sliding on slicks, I thought I'd said that it's likely to happen on cars like Martin had. It's a combo of higher and softer suspension along with very little weight. Basically the horixontal force exerted when sideways will be transferred to some degree in to a vertical force through the soft suspension. This combined with the higher COG will then conspire to flip the car. Race cars obviously have lower/harder suspension so they have a lower COG and less force is transmitted vertically through the suspension.

I apologise if I didn't make that clear.

Although now I've just read martin had a harder setup, but the higher COG will be the clincher still.

Mr Zollo's last comment is perhaps the best of this discussion though.

I have no experience with slicks and have only really done one track day where I have really driven the car hard so this is just my opinion.

I found that with my std Contis they where ok at first then obviously as they warmed they became noticably grippier...then a few laps later they would drop off after getting too warm. Surely the advantage of using Slicks/semi slicks is that your optimum grip will be longer lasting...I suppose same with my brakes...they seemed pretty good for a while then the fade set in where as with some race pads they would have lasted longer at an optimum level.

Also if you noticed Martins car skipped round just before it flipped him...to me every time those tyres skipped then dug in, the tyre temp on that edge would have got much hotter very quickly and that was why it flipped him (along with the fact he was going far to quickly into that bend ;))

Chris

Forum User
    i've done one trackday before at silverstone on yoko a520's and to be honest they where ****ing awesome, but that was some time ago now, i plan on doing a few trackdays next year, so i might just start off with semi slicks and them move onto full slicks maybe thats the sensibl option here, although i will be buying some full slicks and for when i feel the need

And like someones said they dont use them on the cup racers for nothing do they, they must be the bollocks, if there good enough for those boys there good enough for me!