Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Forum User

track tyre advice

Right people, my christmas present off the miss's is some wheels/tyres for the track, so i'd like some advice please, as in what tyres to get, what rubber should i get for track use?

The cheaper the better, as i need to save up for some avo coilovers still, people who track there car on a regular basis what tyres do you use? slicks/semi slicks or those road legal track tyres that you can get that are designed for track use?

should i get some road legal tyres that are good for the track or get some proper rubbeer? if so what?

any advice much appreciated,as i've got a 12.6sec 1/4 mile mk2 astra turbo to smoke

also what size tyre will be best?

cheers folks :D

road tyres are pretty pish tbh compared to semi/slicks.....I'd go for some second hand slicks from one of northy's sources bargain at 20 quid a corner compared to 100 quid a corner for fancy track biased treaded tyres...

The toyo 888r seem quite good value for money for a best of both worlds tyre. Can get them for around £65 each

Forum User
    looks like its gonna be some 2nd hand semi slicks then by the sounds of it, especially at £20 a corner, got any details on where to get em from?

(northwest based)

cheers

Bill

PM me or bayliss or northy if you want the number.

slicks seem to be the way forward, but having said that ive not run them yet...let alone even have some sitting at home yet!

i was happy enough with my semi slick yoko's, but just a bit soft and overheated. possibly wrong pressures.

road tyres = wank.

Forum User
    pm'd

cheers mate

Forum User
    just a thought after reading some threads on slicks, will my car be fine running slicks? only suspension mods will be some avo coilovers, no cage etc, back will be stripped out, will it cause any problems?

chances are i'll risk it anyway

tbh mate, yeah slicks will put more stress on the car due to increased lateral G forces.

imo it will be fine, just be more willing to accept wear to wheel bearings (which are pish design imo anyway!), ball joints, track rod ends, brakes.

shouldnt have a big effect on the chassis or owt. get a cage tho - its a good option for a track car running slicks!

Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by stew
    tbh mate, yeah slicks will put more stress on the car due to increased lateral G forces.

imo it will be fine, just be more willing to accept wear to wheel bearings (which are pish design imo anyway!), ball joints, track rod ends, brakes.

shouldnt have a big effect on the chassis or owt. get a cage tho - its a good option for a track car running slicks!

cheers stew, sounds like good advice that, i can live with a bit of wear and tear, on parts like that, i'm sure the fun factor will far out weigh the costs ( i hope )

I think Northy's contact can only get full-on slicks, not semi-slicks? Either way, I'm not sure a sunroof'd Mk1 with no roll-cage and full slicks and stiff suspension is a completely good idea

If you want fun factor, slippy slidey road tyres are the way forward (and sideways) :D