Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Forum User
    stan,s done it. not worth the hassle. no more power

lol.both my williams' run the megane block. the heads/cams are both williams items tho. a full megane transplant has been done, but its not really worth the hassle tbh.

and as for pulling over on track...iv done it a few times yes.....one was a well tuned scoob, flans vag powered clio, couple radicals.and i once got boxed in by a focus rs, but he pulled off b4 i got the chance to pass him again....and a trophy being well driven, by a driver i would class as a better driver than myself, he ran in race series' etc, think its was the xr2s canny remember fully lol...altho i had a 1.8 head on the 2.0 meg block this time.

needless to say...he was well impressed with what the willy can do with an average driver behind the wheel.

Once I move into new house, get married in May, and get stable with finances, I will give tuning the 1.8 a go anyway. At the end of the day, I can always swap to the 2L block fairly easy it seems, and I like to try and make the best out of things that are underated.

I accept that it doesn't have as much torque, but 1.8 is still a big engine for such a small car. I will use the car everyday I suspect, so better to do small mods rather than a big ass 2L conversion, plus I don't want to remove seats as it keeps the noise down and adds useability.

Personally, I would just like a better more exciting daily drive as this ain't fast enough for me 30-100. Eventually I may be able to afford getting another jap car as my on road excitement, and then keep the clio for track only Now that would be cool, As I could spec the engine differently for pure race

So the mods he wants are: (in order of importance.. please edit/add as necessary)
    1) Air filter (Better less restricted breathing)
    1a) Remove interior if you don't care about road noise, it's free.
    2) Decat (gain top end torque, lose bottom end torque)
    3) Get injectors flow tested/cleaned or use a fuel tank cleaner for injectors.
    4) Adjustable fuel pressure regulator (not sure but might be worthwhile if a chip can handle it).
    4) Chip (gunner?) (I wouldn't expect rev limit to be moved, as I get the impression reliability is important.
    5) Advance ignition, (Might need to use higher octane fuel to avoid det).
    6) Uprate plugs 1 grade colder (for safety to avoid det)
    7) Do a full service, and use thinner oil (full synthetic preferably) (more power, and car becomes more efficient on fuel)
    Go faster stripes (adds weight, and drag)

Matthew

Forum User
    Id go with the majority of that although ive had bad experieces with adjustable fuel pressure regs (poor runnig, cutting out, flat spots and unable to set it up to run perfectly- which is what i would want first and foremost) and the ignition is not adjustable on a standard head/dizzy.

From your list the mods that would provide noticable gains are the filter, decat and chip, others are negligable. I hear a decent remap (chipwizards or the like) provides good gains as well although im yet to try this. As said the head is transferable so if your not happy with those gains and poss cams and headwork then you can simply swap to a 2l bottom end.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH
    Id go with the majority of that although ive had bad experieces with adjustable fuel pressure regs (poor runnig, cutting out, flat spots and unable to set it up to run perfectly- which is what i would want first and foremost) and the ignition is not adjustable on a standard head/dizzy.

From your list the mods that would provide noticable gains are the filter, decat and chip, others are negligable. I hear a decent remap (chipwizards or the like) provides good gains as well although im yet to try this. As said the head is transferable so if your not happy with those gains and poss cams and headwork then you can simply swap to a 2l bottom end.
    Oh man, you have to adjust the ignition by the cam timing? What a pain!

I agree the other mods won't cause that much of an increase, but they will build in safety and claw back some of the performance lost on dirty, worn parts (giving the impression of an increase).

I didn't put cams because they seemingly cost so much, likewise port and polishing.