Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Burning lots of oil... ?

Went out with Allan the other day for a bit of a blast on the way home and he says i'm getting little puffs of blue smoke on gear changes, not always.

Now I thought this was just when ragging the hell out of it, but apparently I was getting them occasionally on normal gear changes (I never drive like a granny though so am always accelerating moderate to hard).

Went out again for another blatt the other night and before I left I knew my oil level was nearly on the minimum mark, was gone about an hour ragging it around and came back and about 0.8litres had been used. After coving only 100 miles of hard (rallying) driving.

Should I be worried? I am slightly worried about the amount of oil used the other night...

What could be causing the oil to be burned on overrun???

Do you have a de-cat?

Forum User
    Sounds high, I use about 1 litre every 1000KM or so hard driving.

Forum User
    If you got a decat sometimes you get little puffs of burnt oil.

If ur stem seals are knackered that can also start burning oil, best way to test this IIRC is to drive down a hill and let off as your going down the hill and get someone to drive behind you and check what comes out of your zorst, blue puffs when you let is more then likely stem seals. Wynns stop smoke can cure this sometimes if the seals arnt to bad.

The other one is piston rings, if its bellowing out blue smoke like theres no tomorrow the rings are gone and ur prob gonna need a rebuild.

Could be u just got an oil leak though m8, u checked in the bay for any sines of one?

Banned
    Ask Nick Hill about this. He told me about 1 litre per 1000 miles is 'normal' but he wouldnt be happy if one of his engines used that much. I think the way he gets people to run them in bed the piston rings better so they use less oil.

In the end, if the engine is healthy i think the oil usage comes down to the thickness of the oil you use (thinnner oil burning off quicker) and the way the car was run in, and how fast you drive it.

0200 had puffs of occasional smoke on hard acceleration / gear change before my rebuild. Now it has none.

I used to get puffs of smoke very occasionally before... I could only notice by looking in my rear view mirror driving at night with a car following me closely so it lit up my rear... only ever seen it when ragging it.

Now I am running supersprint manifold and decat pipe so maybe this is why? I'm also using mobil 1 fully synth 0w40, this probably also contributes as its quite thin I think.

I will try switching to 10w40 fully synth or something maybe and see how that is.

I don't think I have any oil leaks, although when I replaced my plugs the other day I noticed shit loads of oil down plug 1 and 4. I checked last night and there is no oil down there now, so must have been a spil.

My head was rebuilt with brand new valves (all 16) just 15k miles ago... could it be that they have not bedded in correctly or would the old head have been cleaned up for the new valves?

I think it might just be my oil is too thin and the decat of cause doesn't help... hmmm.

by the way thats a quick reponse i got from you guys thanks very much, this forum is really getting good :D

Got no work to do that's why! Well I have but...

Mine's using a bit of oil at the mo but I suspect the sumps cracked. It never used to use any no matter how hard it was ragged though.

I just had to put 2litres of top up in mine. hope I havnt damaged it :/

Banned
    Mobil 1 is very thin. You will deffo burn more oil using it.