Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1.8>2.0

1.8>2.0

hi all
    i'm new to this website
    i wanted to by a clio williams but my brothers old car came up for sale it a very nice condition 1.8 16v phase 2 58000miles
    so it was to good to turn down.

what i wanted to know was to convert this engine to a 2.0
    would i be able to fit a williams head,and get the block bored to accept 2.0 pistons and use a williams crank
    is this possible

thanks all

barry

Welcome to the club mate, Get some pics up of this bad boy, Sounds like it's a minter!!

As for your engine Q's, Have a search......F7R, hybrid or conversions ect
    This is asked quite allot.

The general deal is The engine you have is the F7P, the 2.0l engine found in the Williams is the F7R, the engine is very similar, the differences being a 2.0 bottom end, slightly wilder cams and larger valves.

The same F7R engine is found in the Megane, again very slightly different head, (requires the head to be machined to allow for the dizzy cap if being fitted to a Clio, and again even bigger valves)

Anyway..........Don't bother trying to bore out you 1.8, there is no point, If you try hard enough you will find the F7R for a nice price (just got mine last night F7R from a megane for £150 )

You can either buy a complete engine and fit, or find the 2.0 bottom end and fit this to your Valver head, this is what I aim to do, The only problem is that although the engine will run on a 1.8 head/2.0 BE with a STD 1.8 ECU, it will need a remap to get running perfectly.

Hope this helps(sorry if it's confusing!)

Pat.

(p.s. I will be starting a thread soon with my project....The rebuild of the BE, This should hopefully answer allot of you question!

Cheers mate thanks for your help
    i'll get some pic's up soon

Forum User
    as said its easyier and cheaper to just buy a 2.0 F7R engine or b/e

Welcome mate.

Forum User
    welcome mate. I'm pretty new to the site aswell but everyone is helpfull

thanks for the welcome
    do you have many meets or go to any shows

what's the difference between the bottom ends? Am I right in thinking that it's just that the F7R has a longer stroke or has it got a slightly bigger bore?

Longer stroke and bigger bore i believe.

Quote Originally Posted by pat_986

The general deal is The engine you have is the F7P, the 2.0l engine found in the Williams is the F7R, the engine is very similar, the differences being a 2.0 bottom end, slightly wilder cams and larger valves.
    I was under the understanding that the F7R had valve guides and the F7P didnt, not that the valves were bigger.