Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum User

Urgent help needed with valver!! thanks

Hi everyone picked up my new valver today from leeds loving it until earlier when I started it up it was making 2 ticking noises. One was a light ticking noise and went off after I drove a few mins so thought nothing about it. The other was a kind of grinding noise like something been bashed about, had only just started so hoped an oil change would sort it.

Changed the oil and it was totally black with no more than 2 litres in! Started it up seems to have stopped the light ticking but the bashing noise was still there. Went home as it sounded pretty nasty, opened the bonnet and asked my GF to rev it slightly whilst I listened trying to hear where abouts it was coming from. 2 secs later it made a little bang and died at about 3k revs. Tried starting it bk up but just made a clicking noise like the starter motor was stuck.

Decided to call the AA see what they had to say. Bloke comes round says we'll try bumping it see what happens. Tried down my street and the wheels locked up, engine now totally seized.

Thing I cant understand is why the enigne has seized when it has loads of oil still in it? My mates alternator belt was badly frayed once and the noise my car was making sounded similar. AA suggested my timing belt has gone but would the car not turn over with no compression if this was true? Any ideas lads im really fed up. Getting a megane engine and box this week only thing ive got to look forward to. Still totally confused as to what has broken on this engine though?

Anyway I would really appriciate any help or suggestions, thanks again, Rob.

cambelt

really sorry to hear your news mate.
    the two noises you described are in my opinion.
    light ticking noise is normal all f7p or f7r engine inherit this noise.
    sometimes changing the oil helps.

the second noise sadly sounds like your cambelt has just gone :(
    the really loud clanking noise must have been the cambelt wearing away.
    and the really loud bang at 3k revs sadly was the point it went.

get a second opinion from a garage or the lads on here.
    If you can get your hands on a valver engine or a williams one that will be your best option.
    Really guttered for you... I hope im wrong.
    :(

Oh dear, gutted for you that has happened.

Does sound like cam belt as above.

Sounds like it could be the aux belt which seized the engine.

If the engine wasn't revving too high you might have got away with "miner" damage.

I was doing 70 when my aux belt snapped, engine seized and needed a top end rebuild...not cheap.

Forum User
    Cheers guys, totally gutted about it only had it since 1pm this afternoon. Only thing making me feel a tiny bit better is that I know where a megane engine is so going to snap it up early this week, hopefully monday. I know most of you will be busy but does anybody have a spare half hour tommorow to come and confirm, im in south yorkshire? Gotta take it to garage anyway but my mate suggested taking the head off and inspecting the damage, maybe getting it ported and stuff to go bk on the meggy BE. I would greatly appriciate it, thanks, Rob.

if you remove the rocker cover, you should see the condition of the cambelt inside.
    got my fingers crossed its not that mate!

clio16valver.co.uk - Mk1 Clio 16v Dedicated Club
    that sucks man, really hope it isnt what were all thinking it might be.

Have you contacted the seller? He should give u some cash back, no?

what a crap start to valver ownership. unlucky m8. get that megane bottom end.

it may pay to let the seller know about it. dont demand money or anything and you never know he mite contribute toward fixing it?

lewis

Forum User
    Yeah ive told the seller and all he said is that it was fine when I drove it away from his house. Only had it 6 hours and about 40 miles. Seemed like a really decent bloke before this n all. Take off the rocker cover? Not meaning to sound silly but is it easy? lol.

Forum User
    Hi lads just a quick question, when the meggy engine is been put in am I right saying that I can get the mechanic to look at both the gearbox on my valver and the gearbox on the megane and pick the best one? Thanks, Rob.