Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Building pcs

Forum User

Building pcs

anybody have any experiance of building computers etc. want to build a intel core 2 duo (kentfield ready) machine and was after any advice or tips etc

J o n
    what do you need to know? building PC's is easy, chosing the parts I find the hard bit... its a fookin minefield.

Forum User
    what do u need to know maxi? if u get stuck at all pm me.

theres that many parts on the market now adays its difficult to choose, actually puttin the pieces together is easy though

if you dont know what your doing, you can get one built at your local pc shop for little more than it costs to do it yourself.

that way, if you have issues, you have somebody to go back to. if you have issues by self building a one off, you are in the lap of the gods.

get the motherboard, memory and chip from a reputable local shop, get them to set it up.

add your own hdd and videocard to suit (making sure youve got the relevant connections ie sata etc).

Forum User
    i used to build pc's as a side earner when i was in the RAF, I still do builds for friends and family.

best thing to do is buy your parts online try:
    www.scan.co.uk
    www.cclcomputers.co.uk

scan have today only deals which are worth looking at.

you'll need,
    case, motherboard, mouse cpu fans heatsinks graphics card etc

Forum User
    cheers every one. yeah assembly is easy its picking all the bits that will work well with each other really. want a powerful pc for lots of video work.was thinking along the lines of asus P5N dh delux motherboard intel X6800 chip with thermalight ultra 120 cooler and running two X1950,s in crossfire. just not sure which power supplies hard drive makes etc will work best of if it makes any difference and i should just buy on price.

Forum User
    Buildings a pisser just getting parts that r compatiable together

make sure you get fastest hard drives you can (highest rpm), and get em RAID so you can stripe em and get the data flowing nice n fast if ur gonna be doing alot of video work.

power supply, just make sure you get one with plenty of connectors, its easier and more effective than adding blocks later and get a mega wattage one, they aint that pricey really considerings its basically the lungs of the system!

Love building pcs its always a piece of piss - never have any money to do them these days, no-one in my family wants to upgrade

Scans always a good place to buy from - I pass it everytime me and the lass are going to the middlebrook and its always hammered