Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    J o n

E46 M3 Vs Clio 220+

On the way into work this morning and decided to put some V-power in the old gal (as she's now mapped for it) and coming out the petrol station I see a nice silver M3 behind me.

continue driving towards the runway as it's en route to my place of work and he's sat very close, so gave it a little blip and he backs off, so thought nothing of it after that. so carrying onto the runway I get the the round about that leads straight onto it and he's right back on my arse again.

I went reasonably quick around the RA and he was still right there, so I just let rip in 2nd to see what the result would be... to my surprise I pulled a car on him through 2nd, but I did probably get on the power first, even so I was quite pleased at this point. Into 3rd and he just started to edge back and catch, so I thought this was it, he's going past now, so pulled into the slow lane... again to my surprise he almost pulls level and then has to change gear, so I pull on him again, then go into 4th and to my utter amazement pull another car or 2 on him. Speeds were getting high now so I slowed down and he pulled along side pissing himself laughing giving me the thumbs up.... think I'm going to go look for some more M3's later on

What was he towing?

J o n
    lol, nowt that I could see. power to weight wise their cant be much in it. sub 1000kg Clio with over 220bhp. As the speed rose I'm sure I'd have been battered... well, as soon as I reach for 5th I reckon.

Its not all about power to weight ratio though. Gearing and torque have a lot to do with it too.

My dad has a 53 plate M3, I drove it once and it scared the shit out if me.

He wont let me drive it again as I booted it up the lane. LOL

At twice the power yours pushes out, I'd have expected the M3 to leave you for dead. however, its the driver as always.

J o n
    true, but it plays the biggest part of the outcome, most cars designed to go quickly are geared well also though and it's also how the power comes in. If you had two identical power and torque cars, but one was running merely cams and the other was a full ITB setup, theITB'd car would be a fair bit quicker due to the way the power is delivered.

Either way though I'd love to have another run at one and test it.

Incidentally the white Mk1 Clio could pull away from these ;)

Get your dad to let you borrow it, there's a quality road to test it near me, can probably hit V-Max too ;) :D

a car with twice the power, but with twice the weight as well...will usually result in very similar performance to the 1/2 as light 1/2 as powerful car.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJesus
    true, but it plays the biggest part of the outcome, most cars designed to go quickly are geared well also though and it's also how the power comes in. If you had two identical power and torque cars, but one was running merely cams and the other was a full ITB setup, theITB'd car would be a fair bit quicker due to the way the power is delivered.

Either way though I'd love to have another run at one and test it.

Incidentally the white Mk1 Clio could pull away from these ;)

Get your dad to let you borrow it, there's a quality road to test it near me, can probably hit V-Max too ;) :D
    We'll get this arranged in a few weeks, either in my Dads, or my mates silver one.

I dont think the weight of these is more than 1500kg's TBH guys. Look it up.

Nice one Jon I'm not too suprised tbh....and hardly twice the power of the clio and quite a bit heavier. Cue " I know which car I'd rather have" lol

chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris n`nic
    Nice one Jon I'm not too suprised tbh....and hardly twice the power of the clio and quite a bit heavier. Cue " I know which car I'd rather have" lol

chris
    E46 M3 is 440Bhp mate.