Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Reading (Engine ReManufacturer) or Portsmouth

Can only select 5th gear since accident (ALL FIXED! Thanks!)

As some of you know, i had a wee accident which resulted in a few bent components.

All the stuff me and my mates could see wring with the car have since been replaced, but me being a numpty, didn't check the gearbox after the crash. Its sat on my driveway at the mo and when we got all the new parts fitted last night, i sat in the car and tried to select gears. No luck whatsoever apart from 5th gear.

When you go to put it into any gear apart from 5th, it feels like there's a brick wall infront of it, but 5th slots in nicely. i was in 2nd or 3rd when i had the accident if this helps?!

Do you think this calls for a new (second hand) gearbox?

Also, since putting all the new parts on the driver's side (driveshaft, strut, wishbone, track rod and end) the wheel still sits at a funny angle, the top of the wheel is poking outwards, and the bottom poking inwards.
    Im not sure if I've been supplied with a short driveshaft or if the differential has been compressed further inside the gearbox. there's no g.box oil leak at all either.

I'll get some pictures up tomorrow to help you all understand.

Any help much appreciated,
    James

Forum User
    get it laser tracked.
    check gear selector rod for bends, also you may need to readjust the rod itself, to fine tune the selection.
    the tracking will be out if youve replaced it

its more major than that gunner.its probably about a 15 degree angle through a vertical axis. the linkage doesn't look bent, me and a mate checked it over this evening. i'll have ago at adjusting it tomorrow hopefully.

about the 'short driveshaft/compressed diff', the angle has made the strut come out at an odd angle too. best way to describe it at the mo without pics is like this... '<' imagine the top of the arrow to be the strut angle, and the bottom to be the angle of the disc/wheel looking from the front of the car towards the drivers side. obviously its exagerated but it gives a better idea?!

James

Forum User
    well unless the subframe is bent then its wont be anything to worry about.
    check the wishbone is correct for the car, also check the correct bolts have been used to fix the ball joints to the wishbone.
    tighten the hub nuts up...and fiddle with the tracking.. i counted the amount of viable splines when i overhauled the front end, i matched it on my new stuff.. the tracking was out by miles.. it was off the scale...one to bear in mind..
    i wouldnt worry though... just get your keen eye on the job

as far as i can see, the subframe is ok, and ive quadruple checked it to make sure!

i think i might take it all apart again, and fit it all again.

the wishbone is all correct, cos before i fitted all the new parts, i matched them all the best i could with the old bits (although they were all bent) and it all seemed spot on. all joints and bolts are fine.

where the disc/hub and strut are sitting at a funny angle, its making the bottom of the strut sit about 1mm from the cv gaitor, whereas on the other side, its about 15mm?!

Any ideas?

I appreciate ur help alot! ur slowly enlightening me!

the turret hasnt come away from the inner-arch area has it?? check for gaps in the seams on the inside of the engine bay.

The gearbox will be stuck halfway in reverse gear.
    As there is no detent on revese it can be engaged by a side impact.
    Remove the fifth gear tin cover and using a thin bent screwdriver or some strong bent wire reverse gear can be deselected by pulling it outwards.

Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by george
    The gearbox will be stuck halfway in reverse gear.
    As there is no detent on revese it can be engaged by a side impact.
    Remove the fifth gear tin cover and using a thin bent screwdriver or some strong bent wire reverse gear can be deselected by pulling it outwards.
    I was gonna say that as well.

theres a chance its also engaed 2 gears at once. Again what george said will have to be done.

George and Chris H, excuse my ignorance, but how do i remove the '5th gear tin cover'. does it involve taking the gearbox off and opening it up, or can it be done whilst in situe?

what is the full procedure for doing this please?

stan, the turret is fine, i checked all that last night using a torch and all was fine, no light coming through.

Thanks guys,
    James

Forum User
    the tin cover on the passenger side, its held on with 3 13mm bolts. Theres a rubber ring seal thing in it. There will be some oil loss but shouldn't be much. You can do it through the wheel arch after the liners etc are removed.

When its off you will see the 5th gear selector, look behind it and theres rods in holes, these move the selectors in nueatral they shoudl all be inline and out if thats the right way to word it. You will see what I mean when you get the cover off