Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyt
    It didn't do it after the first 500-1500 miles, so why would it be doing it now?
    If there was any debris in the head/inlet after it was rebuilt, it would obviously be drawn the chanber and damage the bores&rings.

Forum User
    i bought mine in april and it was totally fine and owner said it had had rebuilt engine put in by ltr but 3-4k down the road it was really bad which is why i couldnt understand it looking at the bores/rings i couldnt believe all that wear had happened in a 3-4k miles it looked like it had been ran without a filter for some time!

I tried changing the oil but made no odds and tbh it would fade out a lot in 4th and 5th gear. If the engine has already been rebuilt then it would just need a honing and rings fitted. Maybe do big end bearings whilst your there cos pistons have to come out anyway and thats another common fault out of the way! If it had a belt etc when you put the engine in it shouldnt need doing, obviously youd need a new h/g though

Forum User
    mine did it. valve stem seal needed sorting thats all

if the bore is damaged the only proper option is to measure it up and take it from there. Its hit and miss if you simply visually decide it "just needs a hone". Besides, honin his a surface finnish procedure...not a mass material removal one.

How long after LTR rebuilt it was it burning oil?

Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH
    i bought mine in april and it was totally fine and owner said it had had rebuilt engine put in by ltr but 3-4k down the road it was really bad which is why i couldnt understand it looking at the bores/rings i couldnt believe all that wear had happened in a 3-4k miles it looked like it had been ran without a filter for some time!

I tried changing the oil but made no odds and tbh it would fade out a lot in 4th and 5th gear. If the engine has already been rebuilt then it would just need a honing and rings fitted. Maybe do big end bearings whilst your there cos pistons have to come out anyway and thats another common fault out of the way! If it had a belt etc when you put the engine in it shouldnt need doing, obviously youd need a new h/g though
    I am not entirely sure on which car you are talking about, but we have never rebuilt an engine for a customer up until the last month, i have only rebuilt engines for my personal use, so the engine you refer to was not rebuilt by us. we may well of fited a new engine for this person but it would only have been a second hand one.

Forum User
    Stan, there was a visible lip at the top of the bores which meant there has been wear there and i didnt decide it "just needs a hone" you could feel it with your finger nail. if i could have took the car off the road and it wasnt being a hinderance in a mates garage i would have either got it slightly bored or put a new bottom end in because if its as bad as this was you sometimes can just tell by looking. i had to make do with what time and equipment i had so i had no option but to do the best i could and hope!

The bores were also discoloured just at the rear of the cylinder as though they hadnt even made contact for a while (prob due to badly worn rings) so as previously said i got some fine wet and dry on those parts to get them looking something like and then honed (hardly ideal i know) for a good while on each bore. I have also seen bores that people have honed away at this lip and they have been worse afterwards meaning they must have taken something off however minute.

Forum User
    jtrenaultuk, i was dubious when i bought the car because the bloke i bought it off just said it had had a rebuilt engine put in because the old one was knocking but he didnt know any details of what had been done because he wasnt very clued up so i just took it as a pinch of salt and it ran fine so i was happy. when i took it apart and saw the damage i knew it hadnt been rebuilt because there was no way all of that wear could happen so quick to a rebuilt engine.

he had done 1k in it and i did a further 3ish before it got bad so i just figured he had just had an engine put in (not rebuilt).

Im sorry i didnt make it clear i was just pointing out how i couldnt understand how the wear had happened so quick until i stripped it and realised it hadnt been done, its in no way a reflection on you and that was never the point i was making, i even bought the new head off you for the rebuild and was really impressed by the knowledge and parts supply!!

Yeah mate im not knocking you..im just sayin that by using wet and dry and honing, youve likely INADVERTANTLY made the bore geometry poor....meaning poor oil control.

In any case it needs fixing now! Is it 2.0 or 1.8? Either way, i would suggest a 2.0 in good shape, with pistons to suit.

If you need any parts etc give me a shout, i'll help as much as poss.

Forum User
    cheers mate i just thought id explain myself and the reasons behind it for dannys benefit. to be fair the engine is using far far less oil now and doesnt smoke under load like it did. Only smoke is when it comes to rest at lights for a while and i set off sharpish theres a puff but thts it. i got the best improvement i think i was going to get.

Its a 1.8 still and ive been toying with the idea of putting a 2.0ltr in but its just the cost thats involved. i think i would put the engine in myself but what would be the rough cost of parts involved? hardly ever see those bits for sale as well! ive seen a few engines at the 600 mark which i think is a tad dear for a 10-12 year old stock engine

Ive got a customers F7R in my workshop...he wants £500 for that.

Other than that its plug and play.