Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

So you can't afford 4 pots or the like, what do you go for?

Big brake kits are expensive - I'll gladly save up and get something stupid good in the future but need brakes desperately...

I WILL be doing track days on whatever I get and some very fast road use lol...

What to do?

Forum User
    Ds2500's some good fluid and some new or least rebuilt calipers and braided lines are a very good setup.
    I feel the issue with Williams stock brakes is there 10 years old there the same brakes as oderm Mk2 2 Clios but the calipers are worn seal worn etc.

Also harder pads which people upgrade to put more heat on the calipers damaging seal efficiency over time.

braided lines, fluid change....even stnd pads were fine for me with this setup

Quote Originally Posted by edde
    Ds2500's some good fluid and some new or least rebuilt calipers and braided lines are a very good setup.
    I feel the issue with Williams stock brakes is there 10 years old there the same brakes as oderm Mk2 2 Clios but the calipers are worn seal worn etc.

Also harder pads which people upgrade to put more heat on the calipers damaging seal efficiency over time.
    I agree a lot with what your saying - the brakes on my van are awesome, even with a full load of shit in the back but thats probably because its only done 6000 miles....

How much are new calipers and lines? Its like you say renew all the original stuff then see if anything "extreme" is needed

id imagine that renewing the original calipers will be expensive. first thing id do is get some new pads on there, braided lines possibly, and some new brake fluid. this shouldnt be very much at all, and as martin says this is good enough for most people!

if you are going down the new caliper route, then you mite as well upgrade to 4 pots for the fronts. the rear brakes do sod all most of the time, so no point worrying about them too much.

Forum User
    calipers can be rebuilt with new seals and paint. about 12 quid for seal kit. braided hoses 35 quid. pads and discs. also depending how clever you are you can get 4 pots of certain scrap cars and modify them to fit.

Forum User
    if you don't want to rebuild them try Matt Balck he is likly to have some broken 1.2 etc in stock and buy those calipers no idea on price but shouldn't be much or go and test drive a 1.2 etc Clio take the car home and swop with your old calipers etc.

1.2 calipers on a williams?

does that work?
    is it safe?
    will it even stop?

Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by stew_punk
    1.2 calipers on a williams?

does that work?
    possibly
    is it safe?
    possibly not
    will it even stop?
    not until it hits something

:P

lol - i didn't realise new clios had the same calipers? go find myself a nice 4000 mile crash victim :D