Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny-ACE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyvalver
    Done it 3 times now to my car, engine out seems the best way. Never really fancied the subframe route.
    Wanna come and help me?

No, cuz its a pian in the arse lol

Quote Originally Posted by Danny-ACE!
    Done it 3 times now to my car, engine out seems the best way. Never really fancied the subframe route.
    Wanna come and help me?

No, cuz its a pian in the arse lol
    Ok

Forum User
    have you an engine hoist

J o n
    2 live swapped a gearbox over before I'd finished eating a packet of Hula Hoops once... they were salt and vinegar new recipe though, cant eat them too fast or they make your mouth feel funny...

I just did this last week. I took mine out the top as after speaking to Chris H he said lowering the subframe wasn't a good idea. What I did was to undo all engine mounts and leave the engine resting on a trolley jack (bit of wood between them to spread the weight) then I pushed the engine across till it was resting against the o/s of the engine bay. This gives you a few more inches to manouevre the old box out. By doing this it is possible to remove the box with the clutch in place, but, it's a right bugger and i would suggest just removing the clutch and then re-fitting it when the new box is on. The main problem is just space as it's very tight indeed, but once you get the box to pass the clutch it's easy enough to lift it out by hand (and i'm a skiny b*stard).

One huge advantage would be if you can manage to remove the studs from the bottom of the box as it will then easily give you enough room to get it out. On mine I couldn't be arsed with that and just cutt them off though as te box was going to be scrapped anyway.

If you have an engine hoist I would definately suggest removing the engine as you can do the cambelt etc and it won't take much longer, if any longer at all.

Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Coops
    massive divide on this, some people drop subframe, some people wiggle it out the top, either way its a tough job if u want to leave the engine in. rekon if i did it i'd call it a weeks job and take the whole chuffin engine out n do the clutch at the same time!
    Week, wtf are you messing about at?

Took me 3 hours to get my engine out, and that includes cutting away the front of the car to get the rad out as it was all bent in.

Engine out is easiest and quickjest, 2 hours out, 30 mins to swap box and then 3 hours or so all back in, but you need the gear, otherwise out the bottom, mine took me 2 days, but there was alot of fannying about learning involved, i recon 10-12 hours now out teh bottom, will let you all know Tuesday night.

Gibbo tried it out the top, after doig out the bottom, and recned that the bottom was easier and quicker.

Can change teh clutch without taking the engne out easy enough, could prolly do it with teh box in there, but its alot easier to just take box out bottom and then it gives you more room to line the ****er up

drop subframe off all six bolts (4 on bottom and 2 lil arms attatched to bottom arms) remove both hubs and passenger side shocker, remove gearbox oil and both shafts, support engine using engine crane or simular, remove weight of gearbox by using selected method of support, remove airbox/filter, remove top engine mount, remove gearbox bolts and nuts and not forgetting the starter motor bolts too.

hour and a half to remove, about 3 hours to put back together once you've changed clutch etc,

easy as pie lol well not quite but its fun finding out how to do it

took me 8 hours to take the engine out wack a new box on and bok it back up on my drive way with no crain and on my own

drop the sub frame and drop the engine its so much easyer loads more room but i wouldnt recommend doing it on you own with no mechanical knowlage

but good luck if you do

Forum User
    LOL you guys make it sound so easy - 3 hours to take the engine out! I wish i was that quick - its taken me more like 15 over a period of 3 days

Forum User
    lol

IVE TRIED ENGINE OUT,
    gearbox ou of the top
    gearbox out of the side with 2 subfrme bolts out..

now i am going to just take the subframe off and change it.. by far the quickest method.