PAS Fluid Catch Tank

I'm thinking about making up a catch tank for the PAS fluid, a bit like Mark Ritchie had.

Will I be ok to drill a hole in the cap? I was basically going to drill a hole in that, insert tube to small 500ml bottle. I can't decide whether I could then have another tube running back in to the side of the PAS reservoir or just let the catch tank fill up and re-fill the reservoir manually.

What d'you reckon guys?

Forum User
    I've made one of these.

It's fine to drill a hole in the pas cap. I used windscreen washer tube to a small bottle in my scuttle panel. Drilled a small breather hole in that.

I empty it back into the pas reservoir once a month.

It works fine and there is no mess whatsoever.

Top bombing. What did you use to seal round the holes where you've pushed the tube through? Also what size hole is it, 7mm? Finally what type of bit did you use as I don't want to gunk one up with melted plastic.

i'd just make a catch tank mate - one that refills will do the same as the standard one.

Forum User
    I just compared the size of the tube with a drill bit and used that.

I didn't need to seal the tube, as the hole was slightly smaller than the tube.

Cool. I've got that to do, make up a small weather shield for the alty, braided lines to fit, new leads to fit and a general service to do. Hopefully that should see her through a couple more trackdays without me worrying about brakes or setting PAS fluid on fire.

Good to see Lunner had the same problem and that it's not just me.

Forum User
    ah, i may do this, any pics james ?? mine ends up all over my bonnet

Forum User
    Unfortunately, I won't be able to get pictures up for a little while, as my phone line at home is busted and I can only use the work PC.

It's pretty straight forward to do though. As I said above I used windscreen washer rubber pipe, drilled a tight hole through the centre of the pas cap, drilled a hole through the bulk head to the ECU side of the scuttle panel (don't forget to use a grommet!) and into a small bottle. I drilled the hole for the pipe in the cap of the bottle and a small breather hole in the neck. I used an old plastic cosmetics bottle, about 250ml. I empty it once a month, it's filled up about a quarter. The bottle is cable tied to the jack holder and I also cable tied the tubing to the loom by the suspension turret.

Hope this is of help. I will try and get some pics up, but I don't know when.

Cheers

James

Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Swervin_Mervin
    Cool. I've got that to do, make up a small weather shield for the alty, braided lines to fit, new leads to fit and a general service to do. Hopefully that should see her through a couple more trackdays without me worrying about brakes or setting PAS fluid on fire.

Good to see Lunner had the same problem and that it's not just me.
    To be fair though mine is massivly overfilled, also PAs id for pussies, mine will be gone by the end of the month