Forum User

How flexable is the williams ECU?

Pretty open question, BUT, I was planning on:

Making some Tb's and was wondering if I used the original TPS, ICV and the MAP sensor, could I map the ecu to suit.

Also forced induction (turbo). ...what pressure can you use the original MAP sensor too, and with a change of injector's (I know there are other hardwear issues as well) could I re-map to suit? or indeed, could I re-calibrate the ecu to use a different MAP sensor of simular output signal. I've got a couple of mates at work who are powertrain calibration engineers, who could probably help given a little background and the necessary heard wear/softwear.

Am I flogging a dead horse here, can I not avoid getting a aftermarket ECU (eg, motec etc.)?

The key is, this is suppose to be a educational project. But with emphasis
    on very minimal cost. Im fortunate enuf to be able to manufacture pretty much anything that doesn't require casting or forgeing and realise i will have to purchace some parts (pistons and rods for example).

I have already:

F7R 710 megan Lump
    Suburu STI Pump, injectors & Twin scroll Turbo all brand new

Cheers for any help & let me know if there is anything fundamental I've missed.

Jonny

The stock MAP sensor i believe is just atmospheric, so 1bar absolute. A r21 turbo one is often used in installs like yours.

The stock ecu *could* be made to run throttle bodies, tho it wouldnt be the best set-up. The ICV could be incorportaed, but not essentila, you could just go with tps and map. The eprom itself can be remapped using an r-tuner check out www.fastchip.nl tho it isnt live mapping and relies on data-logging. They also supply a pre-mapped chip to run FI on these engines, so thers another option for you.

If i were you i would look at these http://www.enginemanagement.co.uk/index.asp

adaptive fuelling control for circa £500...u cant beat it! software is comprehensive and easy to use.
    if u want any of those products let me know as i can get discount on them....

were do your friend/friends work? the calibration engineers...

Forum User
    We all work at Prodrive

i asked wayne this when i had mine mapped.

he said the std ecu wouldnt be able to handle the management for bodies.

Forum User
    We all work at Prodrive

lol yeah we seen that bit already^^^!!

aye, ive seen it done, but not with great results. the correction parameters of the map/tps on the main map isnt the same strategy as traditional load v.s speed mapping. so it isnt ideal.

best of with after market set-up, or get one of ur mates to knock up a control system. im planning on designing my own within the next year or so.

I was looking at this short while ago - still am, actually.
    Not sure if it will suit your purpose though.

http://fastchip.nl/show.php?lang=en&...ltClio16VTurbo

Forum User
    Cheers guys.

Purple, looks good value mate, not sure how good it's going to be if it's just plug and play though. Too many possible variables IMO (but then i dont really know!)

2 live, One way to find out for sure!....

Stan, Tempted to try the R-tuner to get going, probably initialy good for me to get a understanding of maping & calibration. But with views to update to live maping at a later point (when financial situation and knowledge have improved). would be nice to use the standard loom to start with too so i can do a bit of developement work without investing too much time first. R21 turbo map sensor have the same plug? Did you say you might be able to get a discount on the R-tuner?.....

On a last note, does anyone have a engine loom knocking around that they want to flog?

Cheers for all your help all, Jonny

The user "basic" from Netherlands is using r-tuner
    http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/...ghlight=rtuner

And here's my old post when I was checking it out.
    http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/...ghlight=rtuner

There is very little info about r-tuner on the internet. So, I would fully encourage you to try it out - so that you can "guinea pig" the thing out before I get it myself :D

ive had/used the r-tuner...it works,,,tho i had wiring issues. but this was a one off, you will be fine!

it does the job, but the data-logging software is hassle imo...too many traces to watch/cross-reference!! tho with patience/pratice im sure u'll be fine. i just prefer live mapping....

i could probably get discount on the R-tuner, but i was refering to the KMS sytems in that link i gave. i would use one of those if i was you....but obviously deopends on ur situation.

i have a willy loom i can sell mate.