Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    There was a Volvo S70R racing at York which was quicker than a Evo 8 and most of the imprezas.

Matt

dunno bout the evo s mate..i was behind an evo 6 round oulton...was well holdin me up.....ok, it pulled on me accelerating out the corners, but after the initial 1/2 1 car legnth it pulled, the gap stayed, then i started pullingh on him, then another corner lol.....this was while danny t was in the car.....while i had craggy in it was the evo 7....he was a fair way in front of me, and i was chasing a quick scooby, which had passed me but only really seemed to pull a gap on the last corner...i caught the evo but he pulled into the pits as i came up close to him....id been trying to catch him for about 3-4 laps...he was comin out of knickerbrook as i was comin over the brow at the start.which is a fair gap really.

I've been all over a evo 3 and scooby sti's at the track.....they were'nt pulling but neither was I quite even oh and Moosemans rx7 at donny was almost the same pace too....had a few laps following him round

It's surprising what the little clios can do with some choice mods...

Quote Originally Posted by Andyvalver
    According to letstorquebhp...

Impreza WRX Sti Type UK 02 plate has 180.40 bhp/ton aint much more than a williams when you take into account the transmission loss by 4x4

Williams... 155.52 bhp/ton
    Erm, did anyone else notice this ^^^. Ok, transmission loses will count against the Scoob, but it would still have to be a very fast Clio to be as quick.

All this talk of Subarus being shite is bollocks. Some people aren't solely interested in straight-line street races.

Location: Williams Land Cars: Minty Williams 2 & Now 0171 - AV IT !
    i did a subaru wrx 96 model at pod if that helps

J o n
    Zollo, have you actually driven any Impreza's or raced any? I've driven and raced a fair few different models and most of them are pants. UK spec laughably slow for classics, newer ones shit unless over 300bhp... what else is there to say? Then there's the handling... which is absolutely shite if you ever drive one. Understeers and has too much mechanical grip, even with Prodrive. Poverty spec rice burners, good when tuned and played with, but a far from complete package when you buy them. 172's are as fast ffs...

Quote Originally Posted by TheJesus
    Zollo, have you actually driven any Impreza's or raced any? I've driven and raced a fair few different models and most of them are pants. UK spec laughably slow for classics, newer ones s**t unless over 300bhp... what else is there to say? Then there's the handling... which is absolutely shite if you ever drive one. Understeers and has too much mechanical grip, even with Prodrive. Poverty spec rice burners, good when tuned and played with, but a far from complete package when you buy them. 172's are as fast ffs...
    I've straight-line raced a lightly modded UK Turbo in my GTi6 and kept up with that, had a 5-mile twisty A-road race with a (Classic) WRX STi in my 205 and just about kept up with that, although I was struggling, and had a straight-line race with a WRX Bug Eye in my Williams (running a decat and cat-back system, full interior at the time) and it was very even (maybe it was modded).

Only driven one Impreza so far, a 260bhp WRX Classic, and although it was a long time ago, I remember it being a lot faster than a Williams! I'm driving a WRX Wagon next week, so I'll let you know what I think of that.

I'm not saying they're untouchable straight-line monsters, but they're not built for drag racing. They're just very capable point-to-point cars.

Forum User
    ive had a 55plate sti out for the day i wasnt impressed

Not had a do nor driven an STi. But I used to get ask Scooby/Williams comparison quite a bit as I had a mk1 Legacy RS turbo (200+ bhp) for about 4 years before the Williams. My reply was - it depends on the driver and driving condition.

Because of the engine characteristics, the scooby is not an easy car to drive really fast. Had to do things like left-foot brake, heel/toe and pre-load on take-off just to keep up the boost. Once the revs drop below 4k rpms, it's worse than a Toyota Corolla and it takes an age to spin it back up. Whereas the Williams is easier in that sense. No need for any rally-driving throttle shenanigans. As long as it's rolling, just plant your foot and it gets up to speed quite quickly. So, on longer and/or lightly trafficed roads - I think my old scooby would be a faster.

With regard to straight-line acceleration between 80mph to 150mph. To be honest, in the 4 years, only a 911 turbo managed to pull away quite comprehensively from the scooby. Most other cars were "Bye Bye" in the rear view mirror. But at under 100mph acceleration - if I was driving both cars - I think they would clock about the same times. But, as always, keeping the scooby revs above 5k rpm is critical, or else it's advantage Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by Zollo
    This is the kind of thread that gets linked to other forums for a laugh. I'm not taking sides either way!

lol....i had this wen i posted on cs years ago...id been gettin held up by a lotus elise on a back road...for like 10 miles+.......i posted it n got slated.....'ur williams will never be as fast point to point as an elise etc etc etc'

true.it wasnt as fast..............it was faster