Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bent Chassis

The crossmember, the piece of metal above the radiator that the bonnet catches are attached to.

A jig is a frame in which the car sits, the frame is how the car left the factory, if it doesn't fit its bent, TBH its an old car and they're never gonna be perfect, just bend it back into reasonable shape, then maybe use washers to space the bonnet forward

Quote Originally Posted by Willy Lover
    The crossmember, the piece of metal above the radiator that the bonnet catches are attached to.

A jig is a frame in which the car sits, the frame is how the car left the factory, if it doesn't fit its bent, TBH its an old car and they're never gonna be perfect, just bend it back into reasonable shape, then maybe use washers to space the bonnet forward
    Had a look earlier and I think the crossmember seems to be OK. I'll just have to have a proper look at everything when I have time. Once I do that I'll ask again if I have any questions.

I have totaled my previous Clio 1.4RT, when I hit the trees sideways at about 10mph. My front end bented to the left for about 2", and the car was damaged beyond the repair, altho she was still drivable.

So, you dont have to hit anything hard with a Clio, to destroy her.

Forum User
    Mostly its a case of looking at it and saying right the bonnet needs to go left, to that bit needs to come out slightly and that bt bend that way a bit

I'm felling totally gutted. I've just been out in the car for a gentle drive and the car was pulling to the left quite a bit if you let go of the wheel. I'm guessing as it had a crash on that side that this would be the cause of it.

If it is due to that is it likely to mean that the car is quite badly damaged? I've got totally mixed feelings as on the one hand I should have noticed it was slightly worse than I first thought, but also as the guy who sold it to me made out the crash was nothing and that it hadn't affected the car in any way as to how it drives - but that clearly isn't the case. I've gone from having bought the car with a knackered gearbox thinking I can't wait to get it fixed and drive it to wondering what the **** I'm going to do with the car as I don't want a car that doesn't drive properly.

Forum User
    Been there done that with previous car....its that feeling of dread in the pit of your stomach.

As ofr pulling ti coudl be somethign as simple as tracking ****ed

Quote Originally Posted by Lunner
    Been there done that with previous car....its that feeling of dread in the pit of your stomach.

As ofr pulling ti coudl be somethign as simple as tracking f**ked
    Sums it up completely mate.

I just get the feeling that theres more to it than the tracking, but who knows. I think the best plan is just to put a new box on there then see how the car feels, possibly get the tracking done and if it still pulls to one side then I'll consider my options. I'll also probably strip down the front end and see what sort of condition things are in behind the wings and bumper which should give me a better idea as to the condition of the car in general.

dont panic mate, my old rt was a cat c write off repaired n was okay. the back looked like it was gonna overtake the front cuz the rear axle was bent to **** bit i had it tracked and its still fine now me sisters got it, handles fine n passed all mot's etc. get it to a garage n get the wheels balanced and if u can afford new tyres least at the front, difference in tread can cause it to pull. then get the tracking done. that shud sort the pulling problem.

as for panels, lunners right, almost every panel and visible part is adjustable in some way shape or form on these cars, i spent a weekend on my valver when i first got it undoing everything and realigining it to fit right, nipping up the bolts, taking a step back, readjusting etc and eventually it looked right! over time the panels slip etc and just need tidying up!

I should also say though - I like the power of it When I took it out it only had 1st, 2nd and 4th gear. I took it easy first and second but couldn't resist in 4th. Shortly after I hit about 70mph and 4th was no longer, lol. If you don't laugh you'll cry so I might as well look at the funny side.

just out of interest but ebay special? mine was n head gasket blew after 2 months!