Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bent Chassis

Bent Chassis

How big a crash would be needed to bend the chassis on a car?

I'm just asking as I bought a clio 16v but it was in a wee crash a while ago, but it all got fixed up under insurance. Yesterday I noticed a couple of things which had me seriously pannicing thinking i'd bought a car with a bent chassis or something, but now think I have managed to explain all the things I noticed. The only problem I have is that the bonnet isn't quite right and is pushed too far back on one side.

How can you check if the chassis is bent or whatever?

I don't really know much about that side of cars so I'm just trying to check whats what. Is that what is meant when people talk about a car being put on a jig - to sort the chassis etc?

As I say, I now think mine is OK apart from the bonnet, but just wanted to find out more about it and get an idea of what would be required to cause that sort of damage.

Forum User
    are you sure the bonnet isn't just mis-aligned? theyre easy to adjust or maybe has a bent hinge

how do you adjust them? It could be that but I don't know how you adjust them.

The other things I noticed were things like a difference in the gap between the wheel and the arch on either side(one side I can get two fingers between the gap and the other side only one), but I realised it's probably just the bumper being mounted differently as it seems to be pushed out on one side more than the other. Am I correct in thinking washers are used to space the bumper out more or less?

also, given that it was all reparied as an insurance job - should the car's chassis etc have been checked properly to make sure it was all as it should be?

TBH the place just seem to have done a crap job of fitting the things as the wing isn't quite fitted properly due to the metal surround of the headlight sticking out a bit and stuff like that.

Heres a pic of the bonnet as it is:

Forum User
    just looks to be fitted wrong tbh

Forum User
    If its had a front impact the front end of the clios are a pain in teh ass the line up if fitting a new front bit, apparetly its plug and play on most models apart from mk1 clios so my local bodyshop was telling me, and they are a pain in teh arse to get spot on

How can I adjust the fitting then?

I'll be taking it off when I get a chance anyway to have a look but that won't be for another couple of weeks yet (uni exams :( ) but it would be good to know how to adjust it.

Forum User
    I dunno, i went into someon'e tow bar at low speeds and it bent it abit, we spent about an hour bashing it with a hammer and block of wood till it fitted ok.

To adjust bonnet loosen it and then move it and then easiest if you get a mate to tighten it while you are holding it in position

Quote Originally Posted by Lunner
    I dunno, i went into someon'e tow bar at low speeds and it bent it abit, we spent about an hour bashing it with a hammer and block of wood till it fitted ok.

To adjust bonnet loosen it and then move it and then easiest if you get a mate to tighten it while you are holding it in position
    kl, will try that when I get a chance. What did you bend to have to bash it back into shape?