Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Car is Dead!!

Forum User

Car is Dead!!

was driving down the motorway at 65mph, and suddenly loose all power then cuts out, i look in my rear view mirror and the road is covered in whit smoke from my car.

about 2 minutes prior to this happening the engine was making a loud ticking noise on accelaration.

any ideas? is my engine well and truly dead? time for a 2.0 maybe?

Forum User
    sounds like ur head gasket has gone, same happened to me

Head gasket

Forum User
    and the car wont start, or even try and turn.

so still think its the head gasket? i hope so!!!!

Forum User
    im not 100%, but it does sound a lot like mine. although mine was in a 1.4 btw

came off the motorway and stoped at some lights and i managed to cover a 4 lane road in white steam. aparently water had gotten into the engine and was coming down the exhaust through the cat and the back box and turning into steam.

there was a layby just up the road so i crawled the car up there and pull over. when the brakedown guy came he toped up the header (which was empty) and tried starting it and it did nothing. sounded just like a flat bat, however i got home and a couple of days later tried jumping it and exactly the same thing, so i just kept turning it and turning it until it coughed into life.
    the engine must have been full of water, and as i was turning it it was forcing the water out.

ticking noise and the fact it wont turn sounds worrying.

sounds like uve done some shell damage. was oil level ok? did oil pressure drop just befor it ccut out?

i have a willy bottom end im about to rebuild...i could fit that for you. or if you find a lump i can renuild it, or simply fit it. pm me for more info

Forum User
    after drowning my sorrows last night, i've been out to have a closer inspection without getting too dirty.

so i opened the bonnet, and the header tank was empty, so i put 8liters of water in, i looked under the car to see if it was coming out, and it was all flowing out down the sump, bringing some oil with it.

i tried to get under to see where it was coming from but my car is so low i cant even get my head under the front bumper.

i tried to turn it over and it just made one loud Click. like its jammed and wont turn.

Stan: i didn't realise the oil pressure before hand, and the oil was well topped up.

Anyone Else? HELP!!!

Well if its lost all its water and its coming out somewhere near the sump, then it really isnt good news :/

Forum User
    If its the head gasket that has gone, then all the water will be in the cylinders..hence nothing in the water tank.

It won't turn over because there isn't enough power in the stater motor to push out all of the water.

Check your dipstick or take a peek inside the rocker cover...if water has been mixing with your oil (especially steam) then it will be all white and sticky...

Not too much trouble to fix, but you have to get the head skimmed as there is most likely a pin sized dimple in it now.

Don't worry mate, its easier than it seems right now...keep the faith!!

whip out the spark plugs matey, then try turning the engine over on the key. shud get a load of water out the top then, confirm this and its the head gasket thats gone.