PDA

View Full Version : log book help

scotte666
30-03-2006, 22:22
can i sell a car without the full v5 log book...i have the bit u rip off to prove u bought it but the log book is still at the dvla..(how long do they usually take 2 send them back?)

is there anyway i can sell it and register the keeper without the v5?

kendo
30-03-2006, 22:39
I believe you can sell a car without v5 document provided the buyer is happy to take it! If the previous owner of the vehicle has sent their part of the v5 to dvla I think it can take up to three weeks for new keeper to receive v5 so yes you can. But dvla advise against it. Hope this helps.

scotte666
30-03-2006, 22:47
yea thats what i thought tbh mate...only thing is if they were to jump any lights or whatever in the car and its still registertd to me what would happen???could i get away with saying i sold it and have written proof it was bought by some??just thinking in the mean time til the log book comes back...

Mattie
30-03-2006, 22:48
think mine took a few weeeks 2 cum back...

if ur desperate though m8 u could go to your local DVLA office

scotte666
30-03-2006, 22:52
well the situation is i used to own an astra gte few years ago.sold it to my mate and he has just sold it back to me as i was going to use it for a runabout for work....he sent log book off this week as i got the car back saturday.....decided not going to keep it now as running the gti-6 as well is expensive.got some 1 who wants to buy it saturday and the only thing i got is the bit u tear off the v5 when u buy it....dont really bother the bloke as he can knows i own it...just bothered in case anything happpens while it is registered to me over the few weeks...

kendo
30-03-2006, 22:59
Not sure whos liable if no-ones got v5, grey area for me best give dvla a bell to make sure! they are actually very helpful

MAXIBOY
30-03-2006, 23:44
make out a receipt with both partys signing keep a copy each inform the dvla in writing. ass covered