PDA

View Full Version : Cant remove bolt from bottom of steering column

matty
30-03-2006, 20:59
Found a place local that deals with propshafts so fitting new bearings (didn't know there were any) and welding my column is not a problem and been quoted £25.

Removed all plastic from around column etc, all bolts and got to pin at bottom of shaft. Managed to undo the nut a tad but now any further loosening just turns bolt with it.

As bolt is round ended cannot grip it with anything.

Can't see how you do it from underneath so have been doing from above.

Any suggestions?

Coops
30-03-2006, 23:35
erm, get it welded in the car! how come ur taking it out? :shock:

matty
31-03-2006, 07:06
Have a propshaft place cen get it as good as new (they reckon for £25) but has to be off car for them to look at it.

At worst I am replacing it with a new or second hand one depending on what I can get for weekend and cost.

matty
31-03-2006, 07:07
And gonna tray steering rack bushes. MOT failure reckons steering rack is deformed and unserviceable but not sure why and think any play etc should be caused by steering column. Bushes and 2nd choice option and replacement rack 3rd.

Guess its a big job for rack as couldn't find it in Haynes.

summeh
31-03-2006, 09:08
rack change shouldn't be a problem, unbolt from subframe, disconnect pas hoses, undo track rods, detach from column, simple as that.

summeh
31-03-2006, 09:09
mind you, its a clio, nothing is that simple :oops:

matty
31-03-2006, 17:29
Column is now off. Its a bugger to get to the nut. Handy ratchet spanners did the trick.

Last weld broke so showing the garage who did it when I take car there on Wedesday. Did book it in for them to look at stuff but hopefully will have new column in by then.

Think to weld column properly it is best to take out and get welded all around rather than have done in car where they can not get to all sides. But the competent welding also helps.

Managed to sort out my broken passenger door handle. A fiddly plastic clip broke that is 2 position on the link rod. Took ages to work out but you clip it in 1 position to get link rod and plastic thingy through the door lock and then twist it clipping in other position to work and lock itself in handle. Flimsy plastic though (typical renault)

And only damage is a sliced finger from trying to get the inner door trim off....

Just got my rear brakes to sort out at weekend and change fluid/bleed and then I wait for new column to come.....

Lunner
31-03-2006, 17:39
When you put it back on access the nut from the o/s wheel arche with wheel removed, can get 2 hands in there and angle is alot easier to get to than doign it from under the car