PDA

View Full Version : Just spent £1400 sorting out my williams

mozzawily
30-03-2006, 18:08
:oops: :oops:
Before my car didnt stop or drive in a straght line and it failed its MOT no surprise there.

And after
red dot racing front disc and pads
Std disks n pads
Braided hoses
cv boot
new calliper carrier
un siezed callipers
news master slave cylinder
track rod ends both sides
window wipers
mot
break fluid
and 8 hrs labour

Im £1400 poorer but my car stops and drives/handes very well, its a severe raping, felt sore after that, i know the cars a good Williams 2 with fsh on 65k but its cost me half the value of the car.

Feel a dumb ass, things we do for cars. :-(

Simpathy needed lol

Jamie.
30-03-2006, 18:10
that seems very expensive, u can rebuild an engine for £900.... how much is the labour rate p/hr?

Lunner
30-03-2006, 18:23
red dot racing front disc and pads - Brembo max and pagid pads £90
Std disks n pads - £70ish
Braided hoses - £40 from ebay
cv boot - £30 reno
new calliper carrier - 2nd hand caliper £20 tops
un siezed callipers - free
news master slave cylinder - dunno about £50 tops
track rod ends both sides - £50 tops?
window wipers - £20 for bosch ones from gsf
mot - £40
break fluid - £10 for castrol dot 4

= £420......£370 if you don't buy 2 sets of brakes :roll:

So thats about £1k labour.....£125 an hour, fooking rip

mozzawily
30-03-2006, 18:28
55 per hour. All parts were new im affraid, red dot break £130, track rod ends £120, new caliper carrier £80, £65 braided hoses, std back breaks £120 etc... it all adds up! :(

Jamie.
30-03-2006, 18:30
bet someone off here would have helped you do all that for about half the price, ohh well nm. at least you have a guarantee

Lunner
30-03-2006, 18:32
R43658 TIE ROD END-LH CLIO (MALE) 12.50 - RIPPED

Brembo max are better than tarox

R65608 BRAKE CALIPER-FRONT LH CLIO 1.8 16V >96 36.00 - RIPPED (and thats compleet caliper)

R60332 BRAKE DISC-REAR CLIO ALL TYPES W/OUT ABS; 23.00 x 2
R64605 BRAKE PAD SET-REAR BENDIX CLIO 16V 26.50
R41304 WHEEL BEARING-REAR CLIO 16v/ABS DISC BRAKES 19.60 x 2

Honestly mate they fooking saw you coming

Jamie.
30-03-2006, 18:40
tbf lunner not everyone knows where to source the parts, 18 months ago i may have paid for a fix, but things change. unlucky mozza, at least you have a 3 which makes it worth while.

Lunner
30-03-2006, 18:41
I know.....made the same mistakes

18 months ago i poaid some monkeys £1k for a new gearbox casing, clutch and clutch cable, and CV boot

Could have do it with a 2nd hand box now for a touch over £200

mozzawily
30-03-2006, 18:49
Used same garage for years, friend of family and all that..... So does it sound way over the top then?... I mean ive seen the breaks on the red dot racing website and they are the same price he quoted. Had to get tracking done and mot.

So caliper carrier bracket abou £100 inc vat
Steering arms come to approx £140 inc vat
Rear break discs were approx 140 inc vat
Master break cylinder about £100

All williams parts arnt they right?

Feel bad now :(

Lunner
30-03-2006, 18:55
TBH if he got them from renault then they sound about right, but you've seen teh prices i put up from GSF, those aren't willy track rod ends, but you CAN use normal ones

stew
30-03-2006, 18:56
this is what the guy doesnt wanna hear! lol :wink:

sympathy needed n all.

glad its sorted mate!

(in future never post costs as people will always make you feel like you have been ripped off!)

if your happy with the car and the work done then you cant really complain! :wink:

Coops
30-03-2006, 18:58
no matter how hard u try mate, when u post prices on here there a million vultures waiting to pounce n tell u they cud of done it cheaper! :wink:

at the end of the day if u dont know much about cars and need the motor and dont have a spare few days to sort it urself then cough up u will!!

all good n well sourcing parts urself but it take time and as time=money u dont actually save all that! :P

kendo
30-03-2006, 19:33
Im glad you got your car fixed mate but ffs that bill is not right. If I was you I would go elsewhere in future.
My clutch went in a valver I had a few years ago phoned renault (first mistake) for supplying and fitting £900.00! Granted its a big job engine out and what have you but, got it done by friend of a friend bought the clutch kit myself iirc it was about £80.00! FITTED FOR £300.00 next time shop about and get some quotes first the moneys better off in your pocket than someone elses!

Lunner
30-03-2006, 19:35
AYe, i'll do a clutch change for £150, should be a one day job, engine stays in, just box comes out

kendo
30-03-2006, 19:36
Dont do fords do you? LOL

Lunner
30-03-2006, 20:10
Never worked on fords, but giver me a haynes manual and a coupel of days and £300 or so and i'll sort it for you

matty
30-03-2006, 20:44
Like with mot things you need to know where to get parts as you can pay top dollar or get same thing for a lot less. Forums like this help.

Red dot disks, £50 buy it now on ebay. 2 lots in last week. Braided hoses £40. Check GSF out for most things. I get a lot from there and supply my mechanic with them. He gets 5 per cent trade discount from GSF, we get 10 per cent if you mention cliosport (maybe williamsclio too)

And my mechanic charges £30 an hour plus VAT or £30 an hour cash in hand.

Guess if you don't know you pay normal prices and the bill can work out twice as much.

matty
30-03-2006, 20:55
And it doesn't matter if you paid half what the car is worth on repairs. All things are relative. On these cars that are 10 years old (like mine) or older you will have to replace a lot but the fun you get from the car. Try getting similar enjoyment from a car under 3K.

I paid £5k for mine 5 years ago.
Replaced disks and pads all round with Tarox
Replaced Suspension with Coilovers as old was sloppy
Cambelt change
Waterpump change
Clutch change
Dizzy, rotor, plugs, filters, oil, ht leads, wheel bearings, bulbs, numerous service items.

Then performance mods like a BMC IK, Chip, Strut brace.

Cost is high for some things but over life of the car its a small amount and if you think something needs replacing for 1st time in 10 years, that's been good going.

mozzawily
31-03-2006, 19:26
hey i appriciate the posts, to be honest i knew it was gunna be a big bill but not that big. It failed the mot at the moment there is a member of the family seriously ill so i gave it to the garage to sort out..... I guess all the parts prices esculated the bill...

Usually i would of tryed to get my uncle a former mechanic to work on it with my 'help' but this wasnt possible right now and i need a legal car!

Sure feels nice to have a sorted williams though, handling is amazing now and i have actually got a break pedal!! Shame as when i bought it i knocked some money off the car as the breaks were shocking but didnt think it wuld cost so much to put right!

Im selling so bits in the for sale section to drum up some cash to help pay mr mastercard!! lol

Happy days