PDA

View Full Version : Failed MOT.

matty
29-03-2006, 07:28
Was booked in for Friday but the chap remembered my decat and the person testing that day failed it last year (was told to bring back when he wasn't there).

So had it tested yesterday. Emmissions were fine with my decat. Even have a slip with them on so it is either running OK or was fudged some how.

Did fail on:

1. Steering Column. Had this welded a few months ago and weld must have broken as become sloppy again. This drew attention to it and MOT tester stated that they aren't supposed to be welded. Guess if there was no play he would not have noticed.

Renault quote £170 all in inc VAT for a new one including the bolts etc. Cheapest I have found is £41 inc VAT, Delivery and 30 day warranty from a breaker.

How hard is doing the column yourself? Haynes quote a 2 spanner job so may attempt myself. Also worried using one from a scrappie will only need another replacement in a few months.

2. Parking Brake. This has been crap for ages with the handbrake stuck in the air. Just thought it was always like that or because of disk brakes on back. So failed on being inefficient and pads nearly worn out.

I checked the fronts and as the brake disks and pads are same age, didn't bother with the rears as the fronts are like new. Not sure why I have all the wear at the rear so guess the calipers are at fault. They always stick on when damp or wet when the car has been standing.

Any ideas?

3. Steering Rack play. This could be down to the column so hope it is. Otherwise new rack time. And seems to be £145 from GSF but not sure which Tie Rod ends Valvers come with, male or female. New rack fitted as last resort. Will see if Column sorts this out.

4. Passenger door won't open. Knew this and even have the part just didn't get round to taking door inner off. Didn't know this was part of the MOT so getting done tonight.

All in all not bad considering it only fails on wiper blades or bulbs normally. And now 10 years (114k) old guess you do have to look at replacing some stuf.

Coops
29-03-2006, 10:16
weld the column again matey, no point gettin a new one, but check the weld first to see if it is knackered! if u look in drivers foot well, follow the column from steering wheel to bulk head, just before it disappears through, under a big rubber gromit, there will be a universal joint were the weld is. check it for play.

the reason garages say it shudnt be welded is cuz they think it affects the telescopic collapse safety feature in the coulmn, which it doesnt so no worries welding it again, think over half the people on here have welded columns!

if its not the column, u can check the rack mount points, basically have the car on the level, open bonnet n start engine. get someone to turn lock to lock and look at the rack to see if it moves. u can see it better down under the header tank side of the bay. if theres any movement atall u may just need new mounting bushes, thats what i had to have done, my rack was fine!!

if it aint either the mount bushes or the coulmn it cud be new rack time! :(

Lunner
29-03-2006, 10:27
If you want another rack i ahve one in my garden, 2nd hand you can have for £30 + P&P or collection from teh midlands

In additiion to above check the track rod ends

Check pads on rear, they are only about 5-6mm as std, hand brak tensioner is above the centre section heatshield.

if you do swap column i found best way yo access the pinch bolt is through the o/s wheel arch, not from underneath

matty
29-03-2006, 12:25
Welding was £30 last time and not paying that every few months. Can get a secondhand one for that as it seems only available from Renault at £170 new. And if I can fit myself that is labour costs saved.

And sorted out brand new rear calipers at £35.50 plus VAT through my brother who works for Partco in IT. Beats GSF at £62.50 and the seal kit from Renault is £30 plus VAT.

Now just to source some Tarox Pads for the rear.

Coops
29-03-2006, 13:31
shudnt have to pay it every few months if the guy doing the welding has any skill atall!!

get it lecci welded and properly and it'll outlast the rest fo the car for 30 quid! :wink: